This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Safe for Frog?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Evozakira, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I currently have a pacman from in a terrarium with live plants. The substrate i use is coco husk. Im not sure if it supports the plants good as they get bigger, like they start to lean. It feels like the coco is looser than soil. Is there anything i can mix with it ti help the plants but not hurt Nipper?

2. dac343

dac343 Active Member

Kinda hard doing live plants with pac mans as they usually uproot them. If you are set on live plants you can buy from many terrarium supply companies frog safe soil (abg mix is pretty popular). Or you can make you own using the coco fiber and husk along with tree fern and spangham moss. Just make sure you have a drainage layer as a overly saturated substrate will cause root rot.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

You can use Black Gold organic potting soil. It's frog safe :)

Edit: You should mix it with the coco fiber. I also add a little sand, clay, and orchid bark for texture.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

pot the plant!

5. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Right now too small of a area for something potted. I like the way it is and so does nipper. Ill try the soil aja said. I can do potted maybe later when i put him in a bigger tank

6. schlegelbagel

in that case, just mix in some organic potting soil. a 50/50 mix of organic soil and coco husk makes for some great burrows.

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

That fat boy does love his burrows :D thanks for the help guys

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Anyone know where i can pick this up ( Black Gold organic potting soil )? I went to Home depot, Lowes, and the local plant place and cant find it :(

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

You can try contacting the company via the site I gave you to find distributors.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the soil I use:
    Hy-Porosity Potting Soil - BLACK GOLD - All the riches of the earth

Either way, you want one devoid of fertilizers.

10. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Whats fast draining mean? Do i need anything other than this soil and the coco fiber i have? Sorry for the dumb questions.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Fast draining means just that--soil/substrate that does not hold moisture. It's used for plants that are easily susceptible to root rot or plants that do not require a lot of moisture (i.e. cactus). That said, I have no idea if it would be a good choice.

12. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I give up ill just stay with my coco fiber. The only place to have that soil was 20 miles away and when I got there the place wasnt there anymore >.<.

13. schlegelbagel

I just use Miracle Grow organic. Works fine and Home Depot carries it.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I can try that I just didnt know if there organic was safe or not. What should I look for on the package to make sure its fully safe before I buy? Just was to make sure I get the right stuff :) Thanks Liz

15. schlegelbagel

16. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thank you so much guys :) you all are always so much help

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh man! Sounds like I sent you on quite the chase lol :)
    I thought it was way easier to find than that.

18. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Small town lol :p np ill use that later when i move to the cities in the summer :) i picked up what Liz said till then. My exo terra therm/hygro with probe came today wooooo! Just put it in nippers tank. Got a digital in with my silkworm eggs and got a acurite for when my geckos come thursday lol man alot going on