This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Question

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by cgenebrewer, Feb 9, 2012.

1. cgenebrewer

cgenebrewer Member

Hey
    Currently I have my hognose on aspen. I have it about 3 inches deep and he loves to burrow. I just got him two days ago and he spends all his time burrowed. I was wondering if he will spend more time above ground once he gets acclimated?

Also, what are some alternatives to aspen? Since they like burrowing so much what would make them most happy? I am guessing sand is still a no no even if I do not feed on it?

2. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

i dont really know anything about snakes! someone will help you soon tho!

3. cgenebrewer

cgenebrewer Member

oh I believe that! haha

So from my reading my options seem to be aspen and coconut, perhaps a blend of the two

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

A lot of people use aspen, I've also heard of people using carefresh natural color not the bleached one! They do love to burrow, hopefully a hognose owner comes by with their thoughts.

5. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Aspen IMO is the best. It's absorbent, smells good (or at least I think so) and allows for one of their favorite activities. Cypress mulch is also good, but it tends to compact and not allow for burrowing as well.

6. thefish3341

thefish3341 Active Member

Definitely aspen. Easy to burrow in compared to mulch, easier to keep sanitary than sand. My hognose tends to only come out on his own when he's hungry, but if you're looking for more interaction mine was very easy to tame to the point where he seems more than content being handled.

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, mine mainly comes out when hungery too. She's also very content to just sit in my hand.

8. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

my corn loves her aspen! Also above the heating pad I have some fake plants that she loves to hid in. I just give her a lot of hide spots and she spends half of her time in those and comes out at night or when she is hungry.