This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by aldru, May 6, 2012.

1. aldru

aldru Member

Sooooo just wondering ... new snake owner so I have lots of questions. I have been using crushed walnut shells but just recently saw a forum post on how terrible it is? The main point seemed to be that it causes impaction, but since I feed in a separate tank (without substrate) I figure that is a moot point. Any other pros or cons anyone has? Cause honestly at this point my snake seems to love it she has a wonderful time burrowing in it and it's much more attractive than paper towels. Wondering if anyone had anything to say?

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I've never used it, but I've tried a few different things. (Forest bark, aspen, papertowels, newspaper) I love the aspen. It holds humidity, and is very burrow-able.

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The walnut substrait molds very easy and it can be musty. Thats why I will never use it. I like aspen or shredded paper with my snakes. I buy the bags of aspen they sell for hamsters, you get much more for your money.

4. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I have never used crushed walnuts beeding but I'm currently 'testing' three kinds of substrates, my Bloodred corn has the Aspen, my Ghost Motley corn has Eco Earth (loose coconut fiber) and my Green Tree Python had Repti Bark, IMO the Aspen seems to be the best one for my Corn Snakes and the Repti Bark worked really good for my GTP, The Eco Earth is good too but a little messy

Susan, I'm liking that hamster aspen idea :)

5. aldru

aldru Member

with the kingsnake i dont need humidity though, so figuring just normal amounts work fine. and its cheaper than reptile sand so figured it was replaceable? anythings better than hamsters, those **** things are mess factories!!! even cheap aspen goes so fast!

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thanks Susan I wasn't sure if its safe to use the hamster aspen. Awesome.

7. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yes kingsnakes do best with a humidity gradient........

Deep Aspen is best with a tub of moist sphagnum moss that straddles the hot end and cool end......

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use the small animal aspen with all my snakes.
    It always amazes me at the difference in cost of the "reptile" aspen, as compared to the "small animals bedding" aspen!
    I guess that they figure reptile keepers are too stupid to realize that its the same bloody wood!