This Disappears When Logged In

substrate not being eaten and helps with moisture

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by IGGYOWNER, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Hi. i had put the forest floor in my ig's cage (srry had to try it to see if it would work) he doesn't eat it and he doesn't dig in it either! its awesome and is helping heat up the tank a little from the bottom and really helps out with the humidity. some of you who have iguanas should try this stuff out it is safe they don't eat it (well at least mine doesn't) and it makes keeping the humidity up much easier.

2. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

if he did end up eating it and liking it then i would take it out right away but i have had it in there for about 5 days and he hasn't eaten any of it yet! it is really great stuff. i will still watch out for him eating it though but so far ti is great stuff and looks good too! as long as u soak it for about 1 hour it stops expanding and doesn't expand or shrink so it is fine to use! just be careful on how much you take out of the package cause i thought i took to little and i took toomuch so anyone who tries this stuff watch out for that. lol.

3. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

I do not keep a ig but how do you know he hasn´t eaten any? have you watched him/her for the whoñe five days?

4. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i haven't watched him for a whole five days but when i first started out with the substrate i only put a little bit of it in the tank and measured how much i had put in there then i had mesured it afterwards and it was the same. and when i first put it in there i watched him walk on it and it didn't bother him and he didn't eat it he licked it once and then was no longer interested. i watched him in there for about 3 hours.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Just because you havent seen him eat it doesnt mean anything. You cant watch him 24 hrs a day. I thought the same thing when I had beardies on crushed walnut shell...never seen them eat it,,,but they did! I would still remove it.

6. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I know that when an iguana has something new in his environment, he tongue flicks everything so he could have ingested plenty of that stuff without you knowing it. He is a baby so a small amount is not safe to ingest. PLease consider removing that stuff....it could mean hundreds if not thousands of dollars in vet bills for surgery.....

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you willing to pay for that surgery when he need the impaction removed? If so by all means continue to use this substrate. But I think it would be in the best interest of your iggy if you would just reconsider this.

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yeah....no.

Please research the two types of impactions caused by particulate substrates, and the many horror stories found on the net by innocent people who believed the same thing you do right now.

Particulate substrates are dangerous and should never be used for iguanas.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chris your ig could already have swallowed enough of that stuff, without your knowledge, to cause him problems. And there is no way you could know by measuring it whether or not any has been ingested. It isn't like they eat it as food. It is more that they tongue flick it and it gets ingested.
    You are claiming to know more in a few days than people who have studied iguanas for years!
    And not just people here on this site.
    Please reconsider.
    For the health of your iguana.

10. Greg2k6

Greg2k6 Elite Member

Just use newspaper. 1 2 3 clean up...

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

For the love of your iguana throw that stuff out!

I know it looks great and claims to be 'safe' but so does calcium sand and we all know that that is an almost certain death sentence for any animal. The people who market the product arent required to put any warnings on it and they take advantage of that by claim it is 'safe' just because it is made from natural things. Arsenic is a naturally occuring thing but we as humans understand that just because it is natural doesn't mean that it is safe. The same goes for that stuff.

A little bit will go a long way and if you truely care for the well being of your iguana you will listen to the experts and go witha non-particulate.

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I will give you a few examples of how they do this so you can understand why everyone here is telling you to get that stuff out of the tank.

Here are some products on the market that state they are safe. I will then tell you why they are not.

Heat Rocks: Heat rocks emit a "belly" heat that aids in digestion with many species of reptile. According to the manufacturer, this is the ideal product for all sorts of reptiles! What they don't tell you is that iguanas have "heat sensors" located in the upper portion of their body and not in their belly. So an iguana will lay on the heat rock for hours and hours oblivious to the thermal burning that is occurring. This is especially true when the heat rock overheats. A more natural approach to heating for many species of reptile is overhead. This helps to mimic the sun and how they would warm themselves in the wild. The product is not good for many herps, but the manufacturer doesn't tell you all this.

Crushed Walnut: 100% digestible! They aren't lying. It IS 100% digestible, if you eat one grain of it. Its made from 100% organic crushed walnut shells. What they don't tell you is that when eaten in any type of quantity, the sharp edges can act like mini razors and cut up the intestinal tract. It is also not at all natural for any enclosure. If this material gets wet, it also has the nice feature of molding. (I guess they forgot to print that on the bag!)

Calci-sand: Another product that is 100% digestible. Again, this is a true statement. Calci-sand is made of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is the main ingredient in many antacids because of its ability to neutralize stomach acids. So what does this have to do with reptiles? Everything! As your reptile is eating this stuff, it is losing the ability to digest its food properly. As the calcium carbonate neutralizes the animals stomach acid, it is also helping to defeat its own cause because it is also losing the ability to digest the same calcium carbonate it is ingesting! This is where the impaction begins to take place. This stuff comes in an array of colors to make your reptile enclosures look "cool". They forgot to mention that the dies used also stain your reptile. The stains will come off as the herp sheds, but in the meantime, you may end up with a lizard that has red feet, etc.

The stuff you are using is garbage. As I said in another thread on HH, you really are not in a position to be telling people what is and what isn't safe. Just because you read the bag doesn't mean you know the answer. You are reading what the manufacturer wrote. You are not the first person to read a bag and think a product is safe and you won't be the last. Unfortunately, manufacturers are going to continue to misrepresent their products because that's how they make money.

In the short, you need to start listening to the advice people are giving you. No one is trying to make your life harder. They are all trying to tell you what is and what isn't safe or adequate.

13. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'd take it out....definitely. I know from experience that just because you never see an animal eat something doesn't mean they don't do it. And it doesn't have to be a huge amount to cause serious problems. I'd be too afraid to risk it. It's just not worth it.

14. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

ya i took it out i noticed that he was eating it more than his food which was not good so i took him to the vet right away and told him about it and told him about the substrate and he said that my ig is fine. i took out the substrate instead and i am sticking with the mat in there. anyone have any ideas of how to keep the humidity level up constantly? i am having trouble with it and i am moving him into a 30-40 gallon tank and i will need to know how to do this properly without making it too wet.

15. venus

venus Founding Member

How long will he be in that size of tank?

16. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i was wondering if i should put i humidifier in or around his tank? if so can u suggest any?

17. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

he will be in that tank only for a couple of weeks so that i can finish building his new cage

18. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know if you would have room in a 30g tank for a humidifier, but it may be an idea for the final tank, just go for a cool mist humidifier to reduce the likelyhood of your iguana being injured by it.

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

In that 5.5 gallon tank, there is nothing we could suggest that would allow you to maintain a proper heat gradient or adequate humidity levels. That is just too small of an enclosure.

In the 30-40 gallon, you will have more room to create a decent heat gradient as well as to regulate the humidity levels.

When will you be moving the ig into the 30-40 gallon? Once the iguana has been moved, and you have the temperatures regulated (which does impact the humidity levels), we should be able to offer more advise.

In the meantime, I would make sure you are giving the iguana plenty of fresh water and a daily bath. You should also run the iguanas salad under water and toss it directly in the food dish from there. Don't shake all of the water off. This too will help to keepo him hydrated.

I would like to see pictures of the 30-40 gallon when you set it up. This will help us offer advise on that as well.

20. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.