This Disappears When Logged In

substrate in racks

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by okreptilerescue, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

ok- new rack... need opinions...

The rack is for ball pythons...

What do you use? aspen chips, cypress mulch, newspaper, papertowels, what?

I'm wanting convenience but i am also striving for superb temps and humidity.

I also don't want to remove them from thier tubs to feed them- something about me touching a snake after it eats- always makes them regurge- they've always eaten again on the next try but its still scary to have a 1,000$ snake puke on you... and i definatly dont want them impacted...

so what to do....?

what do you use, and if you use something like aspen or cypress mulch- do you feed them in a seperate container or just try your luck... ?

Thanks

Beth

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: substrate in racks...

If you don't want to remove the snake for feeding I would recommend just using a sheet of newspaper. With racks you generally aren't worried about aesthetics anyway.
    And the sealed up nature of the plastic tubs will help keep humidity up.

3. okreptilerescue

thats what i needed to know.

The outside of the rack will look dang good when we're done with it though. crown moulding, stained a nice color, with little individual hanging tags so i know who i put where- it'll be nice. but the inside of the tubs won't really be seen.

:D

Beth

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You'll have to share a pic of it with us when you're done.:)

5. okreptilerescue

of course!!

As soon as i'm done... we're hopefully going to get started soon- we just have heard so many types of material to use, we're thinking about expanded pvc... seems to be the latest trend, looks good, and is mold resistant...

pics soon!

Beth

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I am going to build a new rack this spring as well. Can't wait to see yours. I might just have to borrow some ideas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.