This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate for Leopard Geckos

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Brennan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

2. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Also would it be better to use slate tile or this.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Slate tile would be better. The stuff you linked has glue on the bottom of it. If you use an UTH there could be fume issues. (I am not certain if there would be or not. It is glue though.) To answer your second question, it can be cut to shape.

4. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Do you know any specific linoleum tiles that wouldn't produce any fumes?

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not sure if those would produce fumes Brennan. I was just thinking that the heat from under the tank consistently "cooking" the glue might be an issue.
    Hopefully someone with more insight will be along to answer this for you.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I love your avatar Brennan, I would be scared to use linoleum of any kind, its not natural and god knows what kind of toxic type substances are in the product, more so if heated. Budgie are killed by heating a non-stick frying pan to high. better safe than sorry.

7. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Alright thanks for the advice, I'll just spend the extra $ and get slate then.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Brennan
    I read the MSDS sheet for Armstrong Linoleum. This part scared me.
    Michele:eek:

(SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING
    PROCEDURES: Protect fire fighters from toxic products of
    combustion by wearing self-contained breathing apparatus.)

9. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

I am now never using linoleum, thanks for taking the time to look into this. :D

10. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I use repti carpet for my ball python and bearded dragon, its safe and easy to clean, just pull it out, throw it in the wash and put it back in. You can always buy two so you can put the new one in while you are washing the other one.

11. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

Ya I was considering repti carpet, but I just wanted a more natural look and I like they way slate holds heat. Also the same goes for tile because if the leo defecates on one piece then I can just take it out and put in a different one while I clean the other.

12. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I use slate with my milk snake and I love it. Natural looking, cheap to buy (and it only cost me 25 cents per piece to have the Lowe's guys cut it), and it made a warm spot of 85*F with an UTH for digesting. Perfect if you ask me :)