This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate for Frog Tank Flooring

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by DELTALEE, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DELTALEE

DELTALEE Well-Known Member

I know you have probably answered this a million times but I was reading through the forum and so I went to get some coconut fibre husk in a block I have just added water to a small ammount of it and I am very concerned that my frogs are going to get it stuck to their bodies or does it settle

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

They will get some stuck to them, but not massive amounts.

3. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

It will get stuck to them but that'll happen with any substrate unless you use paper towels or the likes. It won't affect them in any way though.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Just pack it down really good. Mine get substrate on them a whole lot. It doesn't really matter.

[​IMG]

5. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

Liz...your recent pics have extended my wish list. Thanks!!! (sarcastic) :) Liz is the frog queen! She knows her stuff! I have used EcoEarth, but will be trying something new soon...maybe coconut fiber... (?).

Deltalee - let me know how it works for you!

6. fire2225ems

EcoEarth is Coconut Fiber...

7. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

Well look at that. You're right. I didn't realize that. My exboyfriend had bought the brick, so I never saw the packaging.

8. DELTALEE

Leahbrd I did my tank yesterday and they were hopping around on it last night, this morning they were in their beds and had none on them. Their water bowl didn't have much in it either, but I did pack it down really well. Looks like a winner to me Thanks for the pic Liz. Your guys are just gorgeous. I hope mine will be as big as that one day. By the way I am the person with Ribbit, the frog with the sagging jaw, nothing has changed yet but this new flooring certainly gives him a fighting chance with the crickets cos the little buggars can't hide between the pebbles, he caught 3 last night by himself. Such a load off my mind!

9. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

Yay! I was in the petstore today and noticed a moss substrate in a brick, the same concept as the coco fiber. Dampen it and lay it. I'm going to try that. I'll let you know how it goes!! It looked really pretty too and I think it'll be great for my Pixie to burrow which is what he is doing 20 hours of the day...lol

10. DELTALEE

Moss substrate sounds cool I am in Australia and I have never seen it but I am very interested. What is a Pixie? Please let me know how you go.

11. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

They are also known as African Bullfrogs. You can check my album...I have a few pics of him there. I know Shlegelbagel has a new one. :) She's the frog expert! I have more pics on my camera that I'll dowload tomorrow.

12. fire2225ems

13. DELTALEE

He is adorable Looks like a little green golf ball.. The spider is cool too but I dont think I would be brave enough to have one.

14. schlegelbagel

hahahahaha Yhey don't stay like that for long! This is a full grown female. The males get even bigger!

[​IMG]

15. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

My baby's finally starting to turn yellow under the belly...how quickly they grow.

Schlegelbagel - have you seen the moss substrate? I'm going to pick some up today. :-D

16. schlegelbagel

Nope, I haven't. Can you find a link to it online?

17. thetruesmaug

thetruesmaug Active Member

Thats the stuff you all advised me to take out of my tank due to it possibly causing a compaction in the frogs intestines if eaten.

18. OrlandoMagic27

OrlandoMagic27 Active Member

haha you're lucky that there isn't much in the water. My fire bellied toads will dive at a cricket, miss, & get a face full of dirt. What do they do next? Get bored & jump in the water. Drives me crazy.

19. DELTALEE

Yes I can see how that will drive you mad OrlandoMajic27 I have a removeable water dish, I would love a waterfall and pond but I am still unsure how hard it is to keep the viv clean.I would hate to spend the money on a pump then find out I have to strip the tank every week,I am stilll very new to this

20. OrlandoMagic27

OrlandoMagic27 Active Member

Yeah mine's revovable too. I'm also new at this. I only have my babies Marshall & Phillip, but I just re-did the tank. Huge water bowl, lots of plants, the works. I'll put pics up of the FBT's & their setup soon. haha my bad. I totally just hijacked your thread. Ok I'm done now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.