This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Decisions

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Dragoness, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My new BRB cage is nearing completion, so I need to start considering substrates.

She'll need something to help stabilize the humidity, so I'm thinking whatever I end up using, I'll need to add some moss to it. Any advice on specific types of moss that do particularly well with high humidity environments without molding or turning brown too quickly?

I'm thinking sphagnum.

Also, in order to make her habitat as natural-looking as possible, I'm thinking of making a substrate mixed from organic potting soil, fir bark, and coco-fiber, with a few leaves (either dead and dried, or fake plastic) mixed in.

Thoughts?

This is the cage.

Attached Files:

• 9.5.jpg
      9.5.jpg
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
  2. djroberts

djroberts Member

diffinatly use spagnum moss mate as its great for moisture absorbtion as is coco coir both used together would be great for keeping the humidity stable . by the sounds of things your gonna have great enclosure

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

it's my best enclosure so far! I am definitely excited about it. I gotta get me some moss now. That's the very last thing I need.

4. djroberts

djroberts Member

I would be interested in seeing the finished product. Be sure to post some pics as I am due to pick up a yellow anaconda on the 22nd of this month so am looking for some new ideas myself

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

how big do the yellows get?

6. djroberts

djroberts Member

hopefully no more than 18 ft in captivity I think but am not a 100% she is beutifull aswell and is about 3.5 feet at the moment will post pics the day i bring her home

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

so only marginally smaller than their green cousins. beautiful snakes, but larger than I care to deal with. Burms are my limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.