This Disappears When Logged In

Sub Tropical Forest Tank

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by titus, Apr 30, 2010.

1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well one of my larger Exo terras became free for new animals. I set up a sub tropical forest tank with it that as of now houses only Isopods and crickets (test subjects, for a self maintaining tank). I will be adding some millipedes to help with the larger clean up but haven't decided on a species yet, or if I'll try a wild collection. The end user will be a invert (T or scorp) or mostlikely a small gecko of some kind. Here are a few pictures let me know what your thoughts are.

c61b8e79.jpg
    7f550b62.jpg
    09aed68b.jpg
    8b863a9d.jpg

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Always like your live plant approach to setups Titus.
    Nice job.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. The live plants add a nice touch.
    Too bad everything I keep would destroy them!

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Thanks for the comments. I've added a bit more moss to the tank under the bark and wood where it would naturally grow. I'm not quite sure if the tank is done yet though. I am trying to make it as natural as possible without making it too busy. Though it should be nice on it's own as what ever ends up living there will hide most the time. I haven't had too much problems with smaller snakes destroying plants. Though I don't even try anymore with snakes weighting more than 400-600g as adults.

5. komodoking

komodoking Active Member

I like, looking good

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks great, I too love the idea of live plants. I've attached a picture of some Isopods that you may not want to inhabit your tank. its too funny

Attached Files:

7. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm dense, but....what on EARTH are those things?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think they live in the ocean, maybe I'm dense too, but I'm also curious!

9. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

They look like...I dunno, woodlice with a lobster tail. But giant ones.

10. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Those would be giant isopods. (Pretty sure the binomial is Bathynormus gigantus.) They live in the ocean depths, have a tendancy to school, and really ARE about that size. That photoshop is a classic, or at least well on it's way to being one. Their eyes look like sunglasses to me.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, isopods from the ocean. That photo is a classic on icanhascheezburger.com