This Disappears When Logged In

Sub Adult Mex Mex

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Jlassiter, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Getting big now....
    IMG_3815.jpg
    IMG_3811.jpg
    IMG_3808.jpg
    IMG_3806.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3796.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You have to put up warning signs
    *Warning massive drooling will occur while viewing these photos, Have kleenex ready *

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

mex mex have got to be my favorites! They are looking great! I hope to make it to a reptile show one of these days, i'll be looking for a couple of these!

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Watch out Susan....
    Once you get a mexicana you may be selling off your corns.....J/K.......lol

They are addicting as are corn snake morphs......

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

They're beautiful! Is a mex mex a Mexican kingsnake?

6. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yes ma'am.
    There are currently only 3 subspecies of Lampropeltis mexicana.
    They are L. mexicana mexicana (Mex Mex - San Luis Potosi King), L. m. leonis "thayeri" (Nuevo Leon King - Variable King) and L. m. greeri (Durango Mt. King).
    L. ruthveni (Queretaro Mt. King) and L. alterna (Gray Banded King) were once subspecies of mexicana as well but now have full species status.
    Then there are L. webbi (Webb's Kingsnake) that were recognized in 2005 as the newest species of Lampropeltis from Mexico.

All are "Mexican Kingsnakes" but only the 3 mentioned first are "mexicana"

7. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

You REALLY need to stop posting these before my home becomes overrun by snakes. All of your snakes are incredible, but I think I swooned a bit when I saw that first one. :x

8. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i love the last one :x are these natural coulors, or are they morphs?

9. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Everything is a Morph rather it be a naturally occurring morph (normal morph) or a pigment or pattern mutation.

None of these phenotypes (looks) are simple recessive genes. They are the results of line breeding, but you asked about colors....The colors these are expressing are not mutated at all....these are natural colors....There's some pattern mutation though.

The last one is an Ultra granite "morph," but the trait is not passed on like simple recessive Mendelian traits.

10. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

So, if I understand correctly (and I probably don't) if I were to go searching for one similar to the first that you pictured I wouldn't be likely to find one unless I came pounding on your door?

I can't stop coming back and looking at him/her. One of these days I'll manage to turn my man beast to the dark side.

11. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

The first one pictured is rather typical except for the long stripe on the nuchal (back of the neck area).......
    The colors are brighter on males and he is a male......

And...You don't have to pound on my door....I'm only an email away....And I can ship to Alaska.

BTW...Have you heard of Dr. Maria Heidkamp-Scully?
    She is a great Kingsnake breeder in Alaska.

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

BTW...all of my Mex Mex are from founding stock that was collected in Valle de los Fantasmas, Mexico.

That translates to The Valley of the Ghost.

The second one pictured is a classic phenotype that can be found in the wild. He just carries some hidden genes......

13. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I haven't, and I thank you. I'll definitely look her up, though if you keep showing us the pictures of yours she doesn't stand a chance. Though I suppose it would be far better for the snake if I were able to purchase from a reputable breeder locally than to ship across the country, though I know it's done regularly.

I'm not looking for another just yet, I really want to ensure that I'm taking care of my ball python and corn snake properly before I bring home any new additions, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'll have at least one in the near future...if not two. I would never dream of rushing into breeding anything, but once I'm confident in my basic husbandry and stop trying to listen to my snakes breathing every time she dares yawn I might like to try it at least once if I were confident that I could do it safely/properly.

I joined HC for a tiny little gecko...and fell for snakes in a way I never thought possible. Which is good, because I may have the most evil leopard gecko known to man.

14. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Sorry, double post.