This Disappears When Logged In

Sturdy Reptile Safe Plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by psychoticpengwn, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all. I am looking for some plants that are sturdy enough to stand up to a female, and I may be getting a male, Aussie frill dragon. Preferably something that they can climb on. At the moment I only have a small log running through the center. The tank is 6 feet high by two deep and two long so any one got some ideas for plants? I'll try and get some pics up later but my tanks are kinda bare right now so I am looking around here trying to get some decorating ideas so ill probably be posting in the general construction soon :p

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Look a bit at the area their from, unless you plan on growing a tree in your cage I would sick with large branches, you can always add some large Aloe, Yucca, Agave, or low brush for effect but Frilleds won't use them for much aside from cover. I would go a bit longer on the cage about 4' or so it will give a good amount of room to roam and plant.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With the size and activity level of your frilleds, most plants are not going to stand up to their presence.
    Possibly, as Titus said, some sort of small tree.
    If you have your heart set on live plants, be prepared to have to replace them on a regular basis.

4. titus

The tree was actually a bit of a joke. I would think any type of tree that would be useful would be too large for what your thinking. Though you may also want to look at native palms and tree ferns, large plants will cost a good $50 and up. depending on size and species but would stand up to abuse and provide and natural flare. Yuccas and Agaves get rather large, though they are more common and can be found at a fair price.

5. I was thinking something along the lines of like a money tree but those are still a bit to small The log i have in now is a little to slick for her to climb so i was kinda looking for alternatives. Would you guys recommend using ghost wood in there from what i hear the manzanita and all would rot out rather quick.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If the log is too slick you could try wrapping it in some sisal rope, it's not as easy to clean but it gives them something to grip on to.

I had a fake ficus that my iguana was able to climb on until he was about 2 years old, then he got too heavy for it. It was really realistic looking.

7. I didnt really think of that thanks i sanded it to make it semi rough but it still wasnt quite working

8. titus

I think you would have a hard time finding ghost wood that big and if I know what your talking about it doesn't hold up to high humidity well. Some larger shops or online you may find large cork and grape branches (not sandblasted), but most likely not in the larger chain stores.

9. Those would work to as long as they can hold the weight. Is there any reputable dealers online to buy them from in larger sizes like 5 feet or smaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.