This Disappears When Logged In

Stupid Sketch Up!

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Thalatte, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So I am trying to use google sketch up in order to make a digital rendering of the wall unit I want to make but it won't let me do the odd angles I need to outline the room. Is there a trick to it or is there an easier program to use?
    Or even better does someone else want to render it for me?

2. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I wish I could help, but I've never used any of those kinds of programs. My only suggestion might be to look up some videos on youtube on how to use it. When I'm using programs that I really don't know very well, there is always a video that shows me what I need to know.

There are usually beginner through advanced tutorials.

Good luck Thala!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have been debating making it through photoshop but then it wouldn't be 3D...

4. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

The way I did mine was by using a ruler and a pencil.

Make 1"=1'

I'll upload a picture in a little while. I drew a few different copies, some showing electrical, tubing, etc.
    Its funny though, they look exactly like what I have sitting in my living room now.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't use google sketch if I knew how to, but its just easier for me to use a pencil.
    You really don't need any art skills to do it either, your just drawing lines against the edge of your ruler.

Then again this all goes back to you wanting it 3D. Using a pencil would be the equivalent to photoshop lol

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The problem I have is I am OCD about my hand drawn designs and the area that I want to build the tank in is such an odd shape I was hoping to get it 3D so I have an idea of what shape it's going to be.
    I already have some free hand designs of the area but they are just horrible...

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfH_cyXa1o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can do almost anything with Sketchup.
    We have the Pro Version at work and it does the same and more as some of the 20k programs.
    I know the basics of the programs but don't use it everyday like some others in our office.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The problem I Am having with sketch up is it only allows me to draw in straight line, 90 degree angle, or a 45degree this doesn't work in the horribly designed room I am trying to replicate.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can draw a line, click on it and then rotate it.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm sure there is a way to do it (using the protractor, tape measure, move tool or ctrl s), but I would recommend drawing up the unit in separate pieces, group them separately and then use the rotate tool to angle the pieces into position. You can then use the line tool to connect/create joints and delete any lines that may overlap. This video might also help..

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thanks guys I will try it tomorrow morning!