This Disappears When Logged In

Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by jamest0o0, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

well I've had TONS of reptiles since I was little and at the moment I have a 9 year old LG and 2 russian tortoises that I'm building an outdoor pen for that are about 4 years old... I also have saltwater fish, but anyyywayyy...

when I was younger there were always 2 snakes I loved looking at, at the stores one was called either tangarine or apricot milksnake(forget which) and the other was an "albino kingsnake" which looked like it was colored with a yellow highlighter.... So I was thinking of possibly getting on in a few months if I get a tank all set up. So can anyone tell me about these guys, do they make good pets? I wouldn't want anything overly aggressive, I'm fine with just watching my pets 90% without touching them, but I don't want to literally be afraid of my tank... So any little info on these guys as pets would be great, I will do the research on caring for them on my own...

thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If you're not looking to handle it a whole lot, then it's a good choice. I've found them to be a little nippy, more so than Kingsnakes. Of course that doesn't mean they all are. Just my experience with them. Corns are of course the choice for those who like to wear snakes around their necks.;)

3. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

okay thanks, can you tell me the exact names for these because I'm naming them off of what I saw at the pet store and don't know the exact names..Also I have thick gloves for my saltwater tank, could I use those to get the snake used to me maybe? I really don't like to get bitten = O

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not fully versed on snakes as I'm a lizard man myself. But something you should realize is that in all probability you will get bit at one time or another.
    The Albino would probably be a California Kingsnake. They are a pretty docile species. They are many subspecies of the Kings. The last one I had was a Desert King(splendida)
    Likewise they are many different types of Milksnakes. Some are more nippy than others. The one you saw was probably a Honduran Milksnake. i'm not sure of they're temperment.

5. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

the only time i every see my ball python gets nippy is when its time to feed and he see the rat...but other then that hes peaceful never bite me... i would see any problems with that happen to you... plus if you get a baby milk or king and it bites its like being pinched from what i was told...

6. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

I've had a few snakes throughout my life and have been bitten before, they were all bigger ribbon snakes and a corn snake.... more of made me jump than hurts lol, but I can deal with it I guess = D

thanks

7. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Apricot milksnake: probably a phase (morph) of the Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli - Pueblan milksnake

Tangerine milksnake: probably a phase of the Lampropeltis hondurensis -Honduran milksnake

Albino kingsnake - well.. .may be any of the kings, but likely to be a Californian (Lampropeltis getula californiae)

Do check this link on the lampropeltis: Lampropeltis

On a side note, I keep a Sinaloan and it has never been nippy. A bit timid but never bit. And they calm down as they age

8. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

thanks! Thats them. Where could i eventually buy one of these?

9. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I could help you if you were on my side of the Atlantic Ocean...

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Herp specialty shops, reptile expos, or an online breeder.
    You generally won't find them in the chain stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.