This Disappears When Logged In

Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by kratos, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kratos

kratos Well-Known Member

I have never dealt with frogs before. But I am wanting to get a few treefrogs. I was wondering does all frogs and toads start out as a tadpole? I know it is a stupid question and I think I know the answer is yes but I just wanted to know.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yes :)

Saying this you will almost never find tadpoles for sale unless you want bullfrogs for an outdoor pond.

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Not really a stupid question, and actually Liz there is one species that produce live frogs. I can't remember the name of it right now but I remember reading about it in one of the articles that Rich has been posting.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

are those the same ones that carry them in their mouth?

6. kratos

kratos Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for the info. Ya'll are awesome. I will be talking more to ya about frogs because that is my next project

7. schlegelbagel

ok, so i missed ONE species. I was giving him the general idea ;)

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Ok, to clarify, there are actually several species that skip the tadpole phase....but not very many of them are found in captivity ;) The only one available as a pet that I can think of off the top of my head would be the surinam toad, Pipa pipa.

Sandhill frogs, Arenophryne rotunda, also skip the tadpole phase, but they are not found in captivity. Some species of marsupial frogs of the genus Gastrotheca also skip the tadpole phase. And as mentioned, Maud Island frogs skip this phase as well.

In Darwin's frogs, Rhinoderma darwinii, the eggs hatch into tadpoles inside the male's vocal sac and are only released once they metamorphose into froglets. So they technically don't skip the tadpole phase, but they're stuck inside the adult frog throughout that whole phase.

Gastric brooding frogs of the genus Rheobatrachus hatched their eggs in their stomachs. Though they did become tadpoles, it was also inside the adult frog, so they wouldn't emerge until they developed into little froglets. The only two species in the genus were both declared extinct in I think the 1980's.

I can't remember if coquis, small frogs native to Puerto Rico, skip the tadpole phase or not. But I do know they skip the egg phase. The female gives birth to live young. I just can't remember if the live young are tadpoles or froglets.

So no, not all frogs start as tadpoles. But yes, any frog you're likely to wind up with will have come from a tadpole. Perhaps not as stupid a question as you thought ;)

9. schlegelbagel

show off.

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

:p

I like being educational ;) Cause G.I Joe says knowledge is power!

11. schlegelbagel

and i don't have the patience to type! It's my ADD showing through. ;)

12. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

lol, we all know how important it is to listen to G.I. Joe...
    However, there really is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers...

13. kratos

kratos Well-Known Member

Thanks guys ya'll are a trip. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.