This Disappears When Logged In

Stupid Question?Thermostats?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by BeyondUno, Oct 19, 2012.

1. BeyondUno

BeyondUno Well-Known Member

Hey fellow herp lovers! I recently bought a thermostat as I needed something to control my heating pads I searched and ended up buying this one Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden 1)price 2)digital 3)automatic on/off feauture for heat 4)SUPER easy!

I was looking into the reptitemp 500 but just read alot on how it was hard to set up and you have to keep "playing with it" till you get the temps you want.
    Atm the way I have it set up the probe has not been touched so it basically reads the ambient temp in my room I am using it to control 1 heat pad but later will use it for 2 heatpads.
    I have set up the heat mat to reach 85 max temp the thermostat will turn off once the set temp is reached and turn back on once 3degress below set temp.
    My question is will me having the probe out affect my temps? example room temp is 75 causing heat mat to turn on till reaches 85degrees but since the probe is out reading room temps in general it will never reach 85 making my heat mat keep on heating? I am new to these kind of stuff so really would love for someome to chime in on this as I do not want my bp getting burned altho he does stay in the hide and Ive had the thermostat for a week now.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you saying that the probe of the thermostat isn't touching the floor of the hot side?
    I would think that this would be needed in order to do its job properly.
    Hopefully someone will chime in on their thoughts :)

3. BeyondUno

Yeah it's not even near the uth its put up against a wall with the probe still wrapped up hanging lol. My common sense told me that it should be placed in the tank but I'm wondering how some people have this same therm (reviews) and are able to manage more then one tank with ONE probe?? I've came up with a plan if probe is really what makes the difference that I will leave as it is but wrap the probe up "tricking" it to a temp is reached were I know that I will get the temps from the uth I set for.

4. BeyondUno

Okay nvm I figured it out. With the probe being placed in one tank that uth's temp will determine your other tanks temps. So simple yet made it so confusing for myself ugh dumb moments like these is when you learn the most tho haha.

5. mld

Are you able to plug in two devices into the thermostat, if so you can use one probe to manage two UTH that need to be the same temp and same setup. Always good to use a temp gun to double check your temps as well.
    I've never used hydrofarm one.

6. BeyondUno

I'm going to plug a strip outlet to it, and yeah I do check using a repti gun. Tbh its a great thermostat It was just that minor "issue" that I had to figure out =)

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to see you got it straight. The only thing with using one thermostat for two enclosure is that differences in the perticular enclosures can have an affect on temps thus creating a variance in degrees. Shouldn't be much but always check with a gun and run it for a while before you commit to it.

8. BeyondUno

Thanks for the tip! Will make sure to always double check.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest you cannot control two seperate tanks with one thermostat. It is only going to react to the temperature in the tank where the probe is. If one heater is working fine and the stat is turning it on and off and the pad in the other enclosure sticks on and over heats the thermostat will not shut it off because it isn't reading the temperature in the other tank..

10. mld

True!

11. BeyondUno

Ahhh I didnt even think about that! So I would NEED a second stat or buying one that can control multiple tanks -___- wonder how people do it, some of the reviews people wrote mentioned them using this stat to control multiple heatpads.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They probably don't think about it either, they just assume that the temperatures in one tank will be the same as the temperatures in a tank sitting beside it.
    And this may work, assuming that both heaters have exactly the same output.
    But that is an assumption that I would not care to bet my animals life on.
    The only way to accurately control the heat in multiple tanks would be to have multiple probes.

13. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

I am currently using this exact thermostat on a homemade 7 shelf rack which holds 14 Sterilite tubs (28 quart). I have a six outlet strip plugged into the thermostat and another six outlet strip plugged into the first strip. There are 7 strips of 3" Flexwatt, each with their own plug in so that I can unplug any unused shelf. I have aluminum tape holding the probe down perpendicular to the black bars in the Flexwatt on the top shelf. By turning the probe "across the grain" it is getting a better picture of the tape's temp than it would if located between the bars or over one bar only.

I bought mine off of Amazon as well and, if my memory is correct, the reviewers using multiple heat pads were starting seedlings. That is what this particular stat is marketed for. It has been running great for me since April. I would not use it for multiple heat pads under muliple cages located in different areas and sharing one probe. Too risky.

14. BeyondUno

Yeah its used for gardening. Thanks for everything, exactly why I always come and ask before doing anything. It's a shame because while looking up more on the item before buying I seen two videos with people using this to control multiple heat pads(even a rack) which is why I was missled to thinking I could do it. I might just buy a second stat of the same kind, they really are great and very easy to use. Unless someone can reccommend me a nice one thats digital:)

15. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

You can use it to control multiple tapes/pads on the same rack. I would not use it to control multiple tapes/pads under separate enclosures located on different shelves or furnished differently than one another. Twice a week I check the temps on all 7 shelves of this particular rack and they run within 2 degrees of one another. I think they are even closer than that but cool a bit as I move the laser dot from one shelf to the next. I also pull random tubs and check the temps inside them, both on the cool end and over the tapes. I have experienced random Flexwatt failure in the past so I always keep about 12 feet of each width on hand just in case. I have never had one fail by running away with itself (too hot), but have had them "die". Sooner or later everything fails, usually at the worst possible time.

I agree that this is a really great thermostat. It is accurate, user friendly, and low cost. I will definitely be using them on the two new racks that I have under construction.

16. BeyondUno

thanks alot for the info!