This Disappears When Logged In

Stuck Shed

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by 30mm, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

My snake has quite a bit of shed build up at the very end tip of his tail, what can I do to get it off? I've tried working it with a wet cotton ball but that didn't seem to do much. I'll get a picture if you would like to see the extent it's to.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Use the pillowcase and towel trick.
    Next morning check to make sure and if it is still there, you should be able to just rub it off.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If you don't know what the pillowcase and towel trick is... Get a towel pretty sopping wet, put it and your snake in a pillow case that night. Usually by morning the shed is off.

4. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hahaha, thanks for letting me know Liz! I'll try that out on him tonight and let you know of the out come tomorrow.

5. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hmmm, It didn't work. I have a feeling it's going to stay on there until the tip of his tail falls off.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

And you had the towel super wet?

7. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Yeah, it was soaking through the pillow case.

8. narnibird

narnibird Elite Member

I'm just curious, but does it matter if it the water's warm or cold at all?

9. Merlin

Try rubbing some mineral oil into the leftover shed area and then a bit later try to remove the shed. It needs to come off. You may have to worry it a bit to get it off.
    The water should be slightly warm and then you put the whole bundle in the enclosure.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I've used fish oil to remove tough sheds, you're gonna have to get it off, also to help avoid this from happening again try to increase your humidity levels during sheds.

11. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

He came to me with the shed on the tip of his tail and in some other places. The other places of stuck shed came off with his last shed(about 3 weeks ago) but the tail has some pretty good build up.

I keep his enclosure at about 55% humidity with the warm side at 92. I've only had him about a month and a half.

Just a curious question but what would happen if it never came off? I know that part of his tail would fall off but is the real problem a risk of infection?

I'll snap a pic tonight and get it up tomorrow. I'll also try out the oil and see if it does the trick.

12. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

I got it off! I just sat down with him and got some mineral oil and my hands and just rubbed back and forth for about 10 minutes. It took some effort but it came off and he was very patient with me while I was working on it. It's nice to have that weight lifted off my back!

13. Merlin

Good to hear!

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations! :)
    Hopefully in your good care, he will start to have better sheds in the future.

15. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Thanks! He's shed once while in my care and it was a good shed, he was able to get it all off with the exception of the tip of his tail. Thanks for the help guys! Now I'll be able to pass this Knowlege on to some one else =]

16. Krystal

Krystal Member

My guys get soaked in the bath tub for about 30 to 45 min a day when they start shedding and I have always gotten a full shed off of them. And when I get snakes that come in and are having a bad shed I let them have the time in the tub and then let them run through my hands and or towel depending on how bad it is. I always use water warm to the touch....not hot.............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.