This Disappears When Logged In

Stuck on Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by LuvMyLeo, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

I had just removed the sand from my leopard gecko's tank, and I would prefer not to go back to it seeing as it could put his health at risk. I also have two beardies I just got recently on the same substrate, and I'm getting rid of it for them as well. I was thinking of using a slate for my leo, but I would like to know what my other options were for him and the beardies. I was actually looking into making vivariums for my guys, but being my first time i want to make sure I do some good research on it and was wondering if anyone had any advice or could point me in the right direction. :) Gracias

2. venus

venus Founding Member

You can also use shelf liner which works well and is easy to clean, linoleum, tile etc.

3. battlemetal

battlemetal Active Member

Sand alone is not a very good idea and I see you realized that. But if you mix it with some dirt, impaction and overheating will most likely no longer be a problem. Just use more dirt than sand in the mix.

4. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

thanks venus, battlemetal what kind of dirt do you suggest anything specific. thanks again

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I choose to err on the side of caution and refuse t use any particulates.
    My leos are on carpet ot shelf liner with large peices of slate and my beardie is on carpet with slate on top of it.

7. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

hmm...I've got a tip about ground coconut shell...would that work or would it be dangerous as well?

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Anything that they can put in their mouth has risks.

9. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

hmm I'm thinking I'm going to put Cheese on some slate because I feed him inside his enclosure and the mealworms have a tendency to get away, but the bearded dragons i have to feed in a separate tank so I might just look into that clay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.