This Disappears When Logged In

Stryker's New Arboreal Hide Box

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by CryHavoc17, Dec 29, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

So my girlfriend bought me "The Complete Carpet Python" by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander, and in it nick talks about an awesome design for an arboreal hide set up. My immediate reaction was that is so cool I must have that! So an hourish at lowes, another hour at home, and a total of about 15 dollars later it was done
    Stryker absolutely loves it, he made a beeline to it right away and hasnt moved since

This is great for carpets, and im sure it would work great for any snake species that can climb decently

20131229_225634.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Very nice. So its just some U shaped metal pieces with a plastic tub?

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Yup thats it. Its very simple to do. The tub slides right out if i need to get in there or get him out for whatever reason. About the only trick is to make sure whatever you use as the track is the right size for the tub your going to use. I picked the tub I liked first then found a track that would fit it. I screwed it in the cieling, which was a massive pain in the butt. 18" seems like a lot of hight until you are trying to get a drill or screwdriver in there at the right angle! The next time I try this im just going to silicone the track into place.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Next question is what do you use to make sure the tub doesnt slide out of the track?

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I like the idea. Do you have any pictures of your carpet pythons? Or a thread that has pictures?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That is so cool! My vertical JCP cage is still a Work In Progress, so I may steal this idea. The only problem is, Mine has a smaller footprint (but more height) so My ceiling will mostly be eaten by my heat panel - Now I am wondering if I can make a similar object suitable mounted to a wall? I already have a half-log mounted on the wall, but I doubt it will accommodate Jacket's full bulk.

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

If you scroll down this forum you'll see several threads featuring my guy (?) and gal. But I havent had an excuse to post updated pics recently so here ya go:
    Stryker; subadult Irian Jaya, unsexed but I am suspecting male:
    View attachment 30299
    he was looking particularly nice tonight, if I do say so myself
    Lil bit, female 100% coastal jaguar, 5 months old
    20131230_223148.jpg

I cant believe how much bigger she's gotten in two months. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, shes in shed and I didnt want to mess with her. Just double checked my records and she just shed 30 days ago... crazy how fast shes growing. I think my feeder supplier laced her rats with something extra!

@Thal; you really dont need anything to hold the tub in place. It works the exact same way as a suspended tub rack system of enclosures, when the snake is in the tub there is no way for them to get any leverage to push it out. I cut the track to a size slightly shorter then the length of the tub, so that after you slide it in you can push it down and the track catches on the corners. But that ended up making it way too hard to pull out, so I ended up cutting off those corners of the tub. Now it slides in and out fairly smoothly. Im not worried about him being able to move it around or anything.

Jen; if you could find enough room to work one of these on on your ceiling it would work really well for your build. One of these next to your radiant heat panel would make a perfect warm hide. Doing something like this on a wall seems like more work then its worth though. Wouldn't it be much easier to just build a small shelf and put a hide box on it?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

What do you feed yours when they are babies? I have read hopper mice are fine, but i just can't imagine my little jcp swallowing a hopper. I have been feeding fuzzy mice. I wanted to start on rats, but haven't located any the size I need yet. Repticon is coming to Atlanta in a couple of weeks, so i'll pick up a few of several sizes.

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Stryker was adopted by me as a juvi on adult mice. I picked up lil bit from the breeder at 3 months old, ive only had her since the end of october. When I got her I wasnt sure what size to use either, but i was hellbent on her eating rats from the get go (a 5 ft carpet that hates rats eats a TON of mice... ugh)

Anyway, lil bit was just barely under .5 inch in diameter at her widest point when I got her, so I tried pinky rats at first. Honestly they weren't enough of a meal for her so shes been eating rat fuzzies since shortly after that. If you looked at the fuzzy next to her it would seem like it was way too big, but for a weekly feeding sched it works out perfectly. I still give her a pinkie randomly to use up the bag, but fuzzies were the way to go for her.

Carpets can easily swallow pretty large meals. Unless yours is majorly underwieght im sure he/she could take a bigger meal then a fuzzy mouse

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you used a deeper plastic container I dont see why you couldnt mount this sideways.

11. Majora

Majora Elite Member

That is so cool! I don't have a carpet, but my corn loves to climb and hide in high places. I think he would love something like this.