This Disappears When Logged In

Stressing As Usual

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by jinx.13, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinx.13

jinx.13 Elite Member

OK, Dex ate again last Wednesday. Then, about 2-3 days later, he "officially" went into what I thought was blue phase for shedding. But he still hasn't shed. He spends all of his time curled up in his humidity box.

I know this is probably normal, but it's really worrying me nonetheless.

Could the additional humidity in the humidity box be slowing down his shed process? Making it easier but slower?

Is this a normal length of time (the past.....I don't know how long.....), when he'd shed, I wouldn't even see him really go into blue. He'd be fine one day and the next day I'd start finding scraps of shed. But he's been having bad sheds because of the humidity issue.

So basically what I'm asking is......should I be concerned?

I don't want to take him out of the humidity box if it's normal, since he's in blue phase and can't see very well, I don't want to upset him if it's not necessary.

Advice? Suggestions? Valium (for me)?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Its normal. **hands jinx a valium**, lol Its ok to worry, it shows you care ;)

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Here have a couple! ;)

4. jinx.13

jinx.13 Elite Member

Thanks y'all. He's such a sweet boy, I really do worry about him a lot.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here have three!;)

Not a thing wrong with THAT!
    It's the people who DON'T worry about them that bugs US!:confused:

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

He's fine. Leave him alone. As long as the humidity box is humid, he'll be fine. It takes as long as it takes. There are no fixed timetables in the snake world.
    Monty would eat, go into the humidity box and I wouldn't see him for 2 weeks, maybe more. When he came out again, he usually left a rolled up shed and a big poop and pee in the moss box for me!
    Do some deep breathing exercises and entertain yourself here on HC to keep you from looking in on him and worrying too much. You will both be fine! :)

7. jinx.13

jinx.13 Elite Member

Y'all DO realize that, between one snake, one turtle and three cats, I will eventually drive myself crazy.

But I know what you mean, Merlin. I worry about my pets because (1) I love them and (2) they are my responsibility. I chose to care for them, they didn't ASK me to. Ya know?

8. raechael

raechael Elite Member

I know just what you mean....I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a snake and if one of them sighs the wrong way I start to worry... so trust me I definitely understand your craziness...I'm right there with you!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly! We take these as our charges. And a serious commitment it should be! They depend on us for every single facet of their lives. If we don't view it that way we should not be keeping live animals!

10. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

2 cats, four turtles, one hamster, and eight snakes for me
    one little weird noise or strange behavior, and I'm making sure we have money for the vet lol.
    I look in on them so much, I could probably tell you what position they were in last week on Wednesday at 2:13. Lol.
    Just let your snake go through its cycle, and let yourself worry lol.
    It's not a crime, and if it was, we'd all be felons lol.:p

11. jinx.13

jinx.13 Elite Member

Re: Stressing As Usual - UPDATE 052708

Just wanted to let y'all know that, over the weekend, Dexter shed quite nicely (it came off in two pieces, but it came off clean!). After that, he promptly came out and started investigating things as usual. And, in typical male fashion, he gave me the look that said "What? You were worried? Why?"

Oh, and someone mentioned about leaving deposits during or after a shed.... Well, apparently Dex doesn't appreciate his own aromas. He specifically came out of his humidity box to leave the deposit on the opposite side of his tank. But he shed in the humidity box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.