This Disappears When Logged In

Stressful Feeding Last Thursday

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

So, earlier this month my husband bought me a baby pastel ball python. I thought I had posted pictures on here when I got him, but looking back shows I didn't, so without delay here they are. We fed him 6 days after we got him, took it with no hesitation, had a bowel movement 3 days later, then regurgitated the next day. It wasn't much, about the size of his bowel movement actually. Still not sure why, we hadn't disturbed him at all other than to spotclean his tub & change his water. maybe the mouse was too much for him to digest completely? We waited 4 days then fed again... only this time it was a disaster :( We fed all the others, then since he's so tiny decided to stun his mouse. Well, my husband missed the back of his head & ended up breaking his nose (it was soo sad), but he was definitely stunned. We then put him in the tub with Blaze (we don't have a seperate feeding tub). Well, I don't know if it was because of the blood or what, but as soon as the feet hit the ground he struck. It was a beautiful strike, beautiful coil... Perfect. Until he uncoiled and started freaking out with a mouthful of aspen. I mean he had probably 5 pieces in his mouth. It was dreadful. He couldn't get them out, we couldn't get them out. In a rush of panic not wanting him to swallow any, my husband threw a sock on his hand so hold his mouth open so I could reach in a pull it all out. BAD IDEA! Now, the sock is stuck on his teeth. SMH... Took the poor little guy about 20 minutes to get it off (with us helping as much as we could). We then moved him to a tupperware and placed the mouse in with him, and much to my surprise, he started eating immediately :) So obviously I don't want to feed him in his tub anymore, but since he already regurgitated with us once, I don't want to risk it again... What do you guys think I should do?

Sorry this turned into a novel :/

SAM_0372-1.jpg
    SAM_0371.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

For me I dont feed in the same enclosure just because of that, I am to afraid my little Ophion will get a mouthful of substrate- hes on ecoearth- so the tub I feed in has paper towels in it. I havent had a problem yet with feeding or regurgitation.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I use a rubbermaid with paper towels at the bottom, and just some advice after a regurg you should try to wait a full week before feeding again, to prevent internal damage...but I'mglad your little one ate for you.

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Definitely don't feed on aspen anymore. You could use paper towels or newspaper in his enclosure if you want to feed in there. I usually put my feeders in a smaller container inside my snakes' enclosures, but I feed f/t. Because of all the stress and everything, you might want to hold off feeding for more than a week, possibly two. And get a fecal for the vet if you haven't already. The regurge might have something to do with fluctuating temps or it being too cold in general. What is your hot side at?

He's beautiful. I always like pastels.

5. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

It's between 89-92 on the hot side & between 79-83 on the cool. Guess when I feed again I will put him in something else.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know about moving her but I will say that a pair of feeding tongs work great for removing stuff out of their mouth with minimal stress because it's done from a distance away. No risk of anything further getting stuck and easy to grab stuff.

7. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

Very beautiful Ball!! I have paper towels or news paper in my cages and always feed in the cage and I never have problems. I always use a hook or a towel to take them out of the cage then use my hands after they are out. It works well for me :)