This Disappears When Logged In

stress deaths?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by zaroba, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

about a month ago, i moved my 55 gallon terrarium from one side of my room to the other in preperation for making my new huge viv. the next day one of the golden geckos and the baby rainbow skink that were in the tank died.

the tank was nicely set up, it had good amount of humidity, a heat lamp, water, plenty of crickets and live plants in it. i was easily able to watch the lizards eat, drink, and climb around in the plants.

then, spent an hour moving the heavy thing accross the room and the next morning found the skink dead. that night one of the geckos.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Stress can cause reptiles to behave differently, but rarely death being the outcome. was there any drastic temp changes, or possible exposed to sunlight through a window ?

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

what type of live plants? you said your 55 gallon..does that mean you only had one tank..both lizards in it?

4. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Was there more than one species of herp in the tank, you should never mix species, it can cause a lot of stress plus diseases. Have you had them checked for parasites? Also, what kinds of plants did you have in there?

sorry to bombard you with questions but we can't really tell you much about their deaths without knowing the situation.

5. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

yea, i always heard of the mixing species thing, but it diden't seem to bother them too much.

got the geckos and set up the tank around augest, added the skink mid-november.

the tank was set up with one end of it by a window (wall was too short :p ), the other end of it had a heat lamp. the windowed end diden't have any plants, just some sticks from outside. the end away from the window had tropical foilege i got from the grocery store i work at, good friends with the florist so she knows not to fertilize or spray the plants from a new shipment until after i get some when i mention that i want to buy some. plants consisted of various pothos, calathea, dracenia, and palms. the bedding is bagged topsoil.

the geckos usually stayed at the end of the tank with the heat lamp, either in the back hidden by the plants or up on the side. the skink usually stayed at the opposite end of the tank where thier weren't any plants and seemed to enjoy the sunlight that came in from the window. the only time they really interacted with each other was when they were chasing crickets around the tank, even then they diden't appear to care about each other.

the only possibly drastic temp change i can think of is the fact that the sun no longer shines on the end that the skink stayed at. but i can't see that causing a death in less then a day.

the gecko thats still alive is doing fine, and oddly enough, its the one thats extremly shy and easily scared, see no parasites on her

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

The parasites would be internal. They are one of the leading causes of death in reptiles and you can't see them. Most wild caught, and even a lot of breeder herps carry them. In the wild their immune systems seems to be able to handle the parasites but after a while in captivity it takes it's tole.

7. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

will try and find a vet that takes reptiles and take her to it then.

8. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

All you have to do is get a fecal sample (a fresh one) and take it in to them, it's usually much cheaper to do it that way, though a full on vet checkup is good too.

9. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Also, what do you have in the means of UVB lighting? And what is the exact humidity and temps...sometimes that can affect the animal's health.

10. mshrmheadcharge

do you have any sort of UV lighting? And you shouldnt mix species..its very stressful and disese spreads rather quickly so do parasites...even though species may live in the same habitat in the wild they they have plenty of space to avoid eachother for the most part...i would highly reccomend you using seperate enclosures for the future...each species has different heating and humidity requirements that cant be met if they are all in the same tank...

11. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

the light at the time was a Repti-Glo florescent light.
    temps are normally around 80F
    humidity, no clue actually.
    the ground was kept wet and when opening the glass covers, you could smell the warm humid air. sorta smelled like being near a small waterfall in a damp forest on a warm day.

12. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

well since you still have your gecko I thought I'd post a caresheet for you just in case you don't have one, there are too many variables for me to tell you what could have caused your other herps deaths, I hope this one does well though.

here's that caresheet I said I'd get.
    http://www.reptileforums.com/care_sheets/lizards/golden_gecko.htm

13. mshrmheadcharge

well if you had low temps and high humididty they prob had respitory infections...thats just one possibility...I honestly cant stress the importance of proper temps, hiumidity and UV lighting..

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

THAT particular type of comment always gets my hackles up!
    Its ok for it to die since it didn't cost very much!:mad:
    The death of ANY animal under our care should be considered a tragedy! When you take on the responsibility of confining and caring for a living creature it doesn't matter whether it cost 50 cents or $5,000.00! YOU are responsible for its care and well being.

15. mshrmheadcharge

I fully agree with Merlin...you cant say oh well if they die cuz they are cheap..if thats the attitude you have towards this ''incident'' i dont think you should get any more reptiles...they are living creatures that deserve to be cared for..they didnt ask to be put in that situation and they were fully dependent on you caring for them properly...

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah, no matter what you paid for the animal, it was in your care. At first I was like that with my frog, but he was sick when i got him and didnt know it. After I started to care and treat him in his last days. I got attacthed to the little guy. And was upset he passed.

I cannot stress this REASEARCH always before you buy. ALWAYS REASEARCH!
    Even if you dont go just for one herp, its a good idea to know a bit about several types you might be intrested in.

Another thing, some community tanks work, some dont. You need to know what species will live together and not cause problems for you or them. But you would need alot of space for them to live as one.

I have to agree with Merlin and Savannah on that point.

17. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

yes, you are right. i appologize for the comment. i do understand that it was my responsibility to care for them, i also am diseapointed by the fact that they died. the fact that they died suddenly and after moving the tank strongly makes me feel like i killed them, especially since they exhibited no symptems of being sick.

the comment was just my subconcious mind trying to find some way to relieve the diseapointment and guiltness of me killing them by finding someway to make it seem like it wasen't too much of a loss. i know it was wrong to post such a message and have deleted it.

i do love and greatly care for any animals i have ever had and ever will have, and that is why i try to make thier habitats as realistic as i possibly can with what i have and why i always try to find the answers as to why bad stuff happens to them.

i have been doing my best to keep the remaining gecko alive since her tankmates died.
    tomarrow i will probably be moving her out of the big terrarium and putting her in a 10gal since the 55gal has gone downhill in my attempts to keep her from dying.

18. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

We all have to learn some things the hard way, it's just important that we take the best care of any living thing as we can. You should focus all your efforts on giving your remaining gecko the best care that you can possibly give it.

19. mshrmheadcharge

I agree with manhirwen...we all make mistakes the important thing is we learn from them...best of luck with your remaining gecko and please post questions and read our caresheets..they are really informative

20. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, but you need to do better research to provide the best care conditions for your animals. They did not ask to be your captive and cannot fend for themselves therefore it is your job to see that they thrive rather than merely surviving.
    The price of an animal should NEVER determine the amount of energy you put towards its care.
    You never once give a temperature for your warm of cool end, all you say is good enough, you need to have digital probes or a temp gun, so much of a reptiles life depends upon being the proper temps.
    Please feel free to ask any questions you have before jumping into your next herp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.