This Disappears When Logged In

Strength

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Demonic_Rage, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

I was just wondering how much weight an adult male BCI could lift if he wanted out of his cage? My male is no where close to be an adult but I figured I would ask before the situation arises. Thanks
    Matt

2. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

ALOT!!! .....I don't have an actual number but they are very strong snakes!!
    Use locks instead :D

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah, as Jem said, I have no actual figure, but A LOT!! :D
    You'd be better having a tank that had front glass sliding doors, with a "stopper" or a lock on it, to prevent the snake from pushing out. You really need the stopper - our male dumerils once managed to push his doors open and escape, and if they really wanted to the stopper probably wouldn't get in their way either, but it helps! :p

What's your enclosure like? To give you an idea of strength of snakes in general - my first ever corn snake once escaped, managing to push a solid wooden lid off his enclosure, so a boa can lift much more weight than that!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is going to be one of those "don't guess" scenarios. An adult boa is a strong animal and its determination to find a way out may surprise you. If there is the slightest question that the snake is able to get out then the enclosure isn't secure enough. A secure lid, preferebly with a lock on it is a given particularly if there are small children or other pets in the house.
    You don't even want to try explaining to your mother or wife that the lump in the snake is Fluffy the cat!

5. Demonic_Rage

Well I have only had him about two mkonths now and there really is no question of escape yet. I do plan on building him a box that will hold him for the rest of his life. Right now he is about a foot and a half long. And about as big around as a quarter. He was underfed when I bought him but he is rapidly makeing up for lost time. Thats the real reason I asked the question. I currrently have him a 30 gallon long. With a wooden mesh lid. With around 40lbs of weight on top. I will try and get pics of him up as soon as I get my film devolped. Hopefully he breaks shed today. Well thanks for the input guys and gals. I think I will definatly go with slideing glass and a lock thanks agian.

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

And remember that they only need to lift one corner a very small amount to sqeeze out. My rtb enclosures lock on all 4 sides.

7. Demonic_Rage

Iw ill definatly keep that in mind when I build his box. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.