This Disappears When Logged In

Straw for Corns?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Wyldrose, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I got 50 mini(15-20lbs) bales of straw for free last month, so I use it to bed the mice. Could I use it for snakes? It's very dry, dust free(I'm allergic to dust and mold and have no reaction at all to it), it's in plastic bags too so no chance of getting wet(no mold) and of course I have 1/2 a shed full! I want to use a type of bedding that they can borrow in, like aspen but need to cut the costs down. Aspen is crazy over priced up here, a tiny bag that can do 3-4 10 gals is $10. I was thinking of shredded paper too, since that would be free. My kids love to shred the flyers lol!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

The only problem is if the straw got wet, it could mold. But I guess you'd have the same issue with the mice, so if it works for that, it could work for the snakes.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Where did it come from? Is it agricultural or hobby craft stuff?
    As for the cost of the aspen. If you have Petsmart/Petco up there, look in the small animal aisle. You can find a little bag of aspen in the reptile dept labeled for snakes for more than what you can get a big bale of aspen (4 cubic feet) of small animal bedding.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I got them from a craft store, they are mini bales for display it was end of season and instead of tossing them in the trash I asked the manager if I could have them. They are baled like the hay I buy for my rabbts just 1/3 the size.
    Here is a picture, it's oat straw not hay like the label say's. Idk who would pay $21.99 cnd for one, since you can get 60lbs bales of straw for $2-$5 here lol.
    012-11.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Since they are craft supplies and were not intended for use with animals I would be hesitant to use them. There is no telling what has been added to the straw.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Good point! Shredded paper/paper towels it is then :) lol
    I looked at petsmart yesterday in the rodent isle, they have carefresh, corncob, newspaper pellets, paper crinkles, pine and cedar(why do petshops still carry this ****???)

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Pet stores continue to carry those things because most people ask the people at the pet stores about supplies instead of doing a bit of actual research. That is one of the NUMEROUS reasons I LOVE this forum! Real and factual information is only a few clicks away. ;)

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I read a study on rats bedded on cedar. The study was after a month and the things that happened is so bad. Lung scaring, cronic ashma, liver damage etc. The bad thing about petshop staff is they have no-little training.

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

My point exactly- never trust anyone blindly. Always do some research for yourself.

10. Merlin

Well to be fair, Cedar was the preferred small animal bedding for years. It was cheap and the cedar smell helped to cover the odor of the rodents. And it helped repel fleas! (Gee no kidding!)
    It was much later that the issue of the resin fumes was discovered.
    And some people just refuse to change their habit of things.
    After all it is sold in the petshop so it must be safe right? :rolleyes: