This Disappears When Logged In

Strange Worms?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by TurtleProphet, Oct 6, 2014.

1. TurtleProphet

TurtleProphet New Member

Hello everyone! I need a bit of advice.

I very recently received a turtle from a friend who was moving and had no room for the tank. We think he's a 6 year old red slider. We're not sure. He's small, around 4 inches long and 2 inches high. He's some kind of snapping turtle. I've had him for about 2 weeks. His tank is approx 75 gallons. He has a dock and a basking area, a filter with clean bags in it. His tank used to be very dirty with no light but when I adopted him, we cleaned the gravel thoroughly by rinsing it in water, scrubbing the tank with baking soda, washed out the filter with a small bit of dawn (Rinsed thoroughly). So now his tank is very clean and clear. I added a 60 watt basking light while I save up for a halo bulb that contains both uva and uvb. The light he has now only provides heat and uva. It's approx a foot away from the tank. The usual temp of the water ranges from 65 to 75 degrees. I'm calling him a he but I honestly don't know the gender. He has gravel that's to big to eat, and I feed him pellets and freeze dried crickets every other day. I also sometimes feed him squash, green pepper, carrot, and romaine lettuce. I also keep a beak stone in there, his previous owners said snapping turtles need one to sharpen their beaks on. I'm a little concerned because sometimes he nipples on pieces that broke off it. I throw a few algae pellets in the tank sometimes to distract him from nipping at the stone.

Today I noticed mosquito larvae swimming around in the tank I was surprised to see them due to the water moving from the filter. And I assumed the turtle would eat them, but he doesn't seem to notice them. I also noticed very small worms that float around when the gravel is kicked.

I read that the worms are there because of a build up of uneaten food and that a few water changes would kill them off. Are they harmful? Dose anyone know anything else I can do?

I also read that fish would eat the larvae, I went and bought around 5 commit gold fish assuming they would eat the larvae and then the turtle would eventually eat them. But they don't seem interested in the larvae either, and I think the turtle is a little startled by them.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    I am not an experienced turtle keeper. Hopefully someone will come by that is.
    But I would try to find out what the worms actually are. It's one thing to have a pond with worms in it compared to a small tank where there's one turtle to draw attention from all the worms.
    Could be a potential problem depending on what they are.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I have a bit of turtle experience, and the first thing i would suggest is to ditch the gravel altogether. It's unnecessary and will make maintaining the tank a pain. And a red eared slider and a snapper are two totally different species with different care needs, so if you can, take a good clear picture of the turtle and post it here so we can make a positive ID on it. As for the bugs, is this tank/setup outside? The easiest way to get rid of all this would be to just drain the tank, rinse and refill. And the goldfish don't usually go after live food, you'd be better off with minnows from the bait shop for that.