This Disappears When Logged In

Strange bobbing

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by WDBILL, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

My mother was checking the water dragons cages as i was in school one day. And Ike looked at her, and bobbed his head. Could he be threatened by the Chameleon on the other side of the room?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

How far apart are they ??

3. neit699

neit699 New Member

I just had to put a pillow case on the side of my cham's cage because my bearded dragon was freaking him out.. the BD would stare and stare at the cham, frequently clawing at his cage to get at the cham.. might be the same thing with yours

4. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

I'd guess 4 or 5 feet away. I dont think he can see them really, i've planned too move the cham near my bed.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He could possibly see them at that distance. And this was the first time this happened ?? I would advise seperating them even farther , and also to post your questions here on an open forum,,,,,that way you will get more input to your questions

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The WD can probably see the cham from there. Being both a prey item as well as a predator, they have pretty good eyesite. He may not necessarily have been threatened by the cham though. He could have been trying to assert his dominance over the cham. Kinda sayin, "Hey, I'm big and I'm tougher than you are and this is my space, so you better watch it!". What worries me more though is that the cham can probably see the WD too. This is surely going to bring stress to the cham. If possible, I'd move the cham's cage somewhere where he can't see the other reps.

7. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Not working

I moved the Cham, hes behind a
    Dresser
    TV
    and a Bed

Ike still is bobbing, but not at me. Everyone but me.

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Head-bobbing is generally a sign of dominance. Is your WD male? Both male and female lizards can head bob but it is a more common occurence with males. Head-bobbing is often seen in the mating season, when males are trying to attract females or are showing that they are the dominant lizard.

The head-bobbing could have been because of the cham but it is more likely to be because of your mother.. perhaps he fancied her :D or he may have felt threatened by her. Does she normally go in his tank? - my beardies recognise us and act in a threatened, or nervous manner if someone new is here.
    How old is he? He may be coming into sexual maturity.

Nothing to worry about anyway. :)

9. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Yes Ike is a male, yes i have seen him showing mating signs toward char (female) My mom is always with the WD's when i'm not there, so she spends alot of time with them. And I was told Ike is 4 years old in april. Ike is generally friendly and wouldnt harm anyone. He's never showed this behavoir. But i've never actually seen him do it to anyone yet. I guess it is nothing to worry about, but my 1 year old female, (Fang) is right next to his cage now, after a small remodeling of the room. Maybe he is showing signs toward her?

10. Bitis Gabonica

This sounds more likely - he will be able to smell and sense the female hormones (and see her?) and will probably want to mate. Our male bearded dragon head bobs constantly at the females, though they decide when they breed not him :p

At 4 years old I would be surprised that he has never head-bobbed before, although if they girls haven't been within his sight or sense range before maybe it is simply a typical male :p reaction to them.

11. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Actually he bobs alot at char (Female roomate) But she hasnt mated with him since she started getting gravid about 3 weeks ago. I just saw him as my mom walked in to check on me, he bobbed at her! Not anything else, then when i looked at him, he just stopped. Its rather strange, like, he knows i dont want him to do it, so when i dont look, he'll do it.

12. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :D He really does sound like my male beardie! They must get together and terrorise the females of the herp world! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.