This Disappears When Logged In

Storeria Dekayi... I Think? Need Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by ThatCrowGirl, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

Also while I'm here. I put two worms in the tank yesterday, when i rearranged, I could only account for one of them. Is it actually possible the snake may have eaten it? S/he's not nearly as active today as s/he was yesterday. I was going to turn the heating pad off, but she's currently curled under the water bowl right on top of it which is where she's spent the majority of the day. I don't know what the best thing to do is in this situation. Does it sound like her inactivity could be due to having eaten?

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Yes she may well have eaten, and yes it looks like a young female to me.

I would say leave the heat pad, if she's using it, then she must like it.

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

A little DeKay's was my first snake. I still love those little guys. The PERFECT 10 gallon aquarium snake.

4. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I blame a little dekayi for my being here today.. She was my first ever captive snake, she lived long and passed from old age, exceeding normal life expectancy by almost 2 years!

xenagirl.jpg

Attached Files:

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Infernalis, that is the cutest pic I have ever seen of a snake eating!

6. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

Are there any good care guides around? What is the life expectancy? Also - how is the set up I have? Any suggestions?

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

She ate from my hands frequently, and from what I am told the only captive specimen to take unscented pinky mice...

[​IMG]

I was tong feeding the garter snake, and Xena stole his pinkie! (Yes Dekayi and Garters can cohab just fine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

As for care guides, you're talking to him ;) (I do have to get off my butt and finish up storeria.com) and your setup looks fine to me. Life expectancy 5-7 years. They don't live as long as larger snakes do.

They need humidity, these snakes usually hunt for food in the very early hours while there is still dew on the grass, then they bask for a little while and usually retreat to a dark moist hiding area in the shade by 10:00-11:00 am, then they emerge again in the early evening after the sun sets to hunt for food again, since their primary diet is slugs and snails, these are the hours when slugs and snails are out nibbling on plants and blades of grass.

They are the first snakes I see out in the spring, and the last snakes I see out in the fall.. This one was actually out wandering in the snow!

[​IMG]

Here is one I found hiding with a garter while herping, this is exactly as I found them... look real close ;)

[​IMG]

Wild photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

How funny. Chililn' like a villain with a garter. Very cool. Ok, so do you recommend for comfort sake to have a glass lid versus a wire mesh one to keep humidity up? I could spray down the moss in the evenings. How often do they eat? Daily?

10. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I always feed/fed mine daily. it won't hurt to miss a day or two.

I have always kept them with mesh tops, and just kept slightly damp substrate.

I guess I was confusing/misleading.. They like it humid as in damp ground not humid like tropical air.

If things are kept too wet/damp the risk of scale rot becomes possible.

11. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

Thats good to know. Ok, since most of the bottom of my tank is visible, should I lay down a layer of dirt or leaves or composing leaves or?? I just want her to be as comfortable as possible for her stay. I hate to stress her out by checking on her, but I don't know any other way to watch her and make sure she's eating and stuff... and of course I have to tell myself "Leave the snake alone!" because she really is just SO sweet.

12. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

I just wanted to give an update on my Storeria - she molted a couple weeks back and has been doing great. I gave her cage a cleaning and facelift today - she's been out exploring.

Stellabasking.jpg

Stella.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Nice set up!

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sweet! She is looking great:)

15. ThatCrowGirl

ThatCrowGirl Member

She's great and quite feisty! After this pic I took a few of her eating (the first time I had actually gotten to SEE her eat, apparently she prefers to dine alone!). Today I really ticked her off by picking up her hidey log and tossing a few worms in because she actually lunged at me all mouth open and angry. Gotta love her spunk!

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Very pretty, but then again, I am biased. ;)