This Disappears When Logged In

Stool samples

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by BlackJack, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Would you recommend getting stool samples taken on your snakes even if they seem perfectly healthy?
    I've read that it is often recommended. I have Monty's samples (finally) to take to the vet, and was wondering if I should ask for the containers to have Talyn's checked too (the next time she defecates.)
    I've had her for 3 months, and she seems fine.

Do you have all your new snakes' stools tested? How often should it be done? I was thinking I'd have it done now to have a clear starting point and then just have it done if they ever seem ill.
    Any opinions??

2. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Having new snakes tested is an excellent idea. I've had most of mine done. Just because a snake seems fine doesn't mean it couldn't have a few parasites that could cause problems in the future if the snake were stressed for some reason.

3. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Yes, all new animals should be tested.
    After you have determined your animal is indeed healthy then you could take fecals in every 6 months to a year. Mind you, outside of emergency vet trips and obvious sickness herps should be taken in to vets at least once a year, which is when I would take in samples.
    Zane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.