This Disappears When Logged In

Stimulating Appetite For Marine Toad?

Discussion in 'Toads' started by SharkStars, Aug 9, 2017.

1. SharkStars

SharkStars New Member

I picked up a skinny marine toad from a nearby petstore out of pity after talking the manager down to $10 bucks for him just to see if I could fatten him up. He'd been there for months and months so I think they were glad for me to take him.
    He's in a fairly sparce ten gallon for the moment so I can monitor him.Soil, water dish, & hidey. Room temp 75ish.
    He's definitely more active here than at the store where he was just flat in the same wallow day after day. I see him sitting up in different spots when I look in on him. They had him in one of those big combo units that share the same lights/heat so maybe it was to warm at the store?
    But there's no interest in food so far, offered earthworms, wax worm, super worm, going to try sow bugs and crickets next but I don't want to leave the crickets in and have them biting him.
    Any thoughts are welcome. It was definitely an unwise impulse buy but I'm going to do my best for him.

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

It may just be a matter of the toad settling in.
    I would try crickets to get him going. As long as the crickets are fed (gutloaded) beforehand they shouldn't bother the toad for a while. I'd definitely remove any uneaten ones after a while though.

3. FLNatureGuy

FLNatureGuy Member

I live in South Florida. These guys grow wild in the backyard. I'm thinking your temp is a little low. I have a jungle backyard with quite a bit of shadebut the temp is usually around 80 and high humidity. I occasionally see them when I'm working back there, but they really come out when I feed the cats. They love the dry cat food.

4. SharkStars

SharkStars New Member

Sorry I didn't see that that I got another reply I did order a small uth for him and I do believe he's eating! I ended up force feeding him twice on wet dog food because he was so thin and I haven't witnessed him eat but I've been putting crickets in and they seem to be gone later when I check in him!
    I think they also kept him to dry at the petstore, he's really loving soaking in his dish.