This Disappears When Logged In

Stick Insect

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by ajvw, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Betsy found this really cool stick insect this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Way to go Betsy, they are so cool looking!!!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are definately an oddity.
    We were camping a couple of years ago in a pine forest and the darn things were everywhere!

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

A northern walking stick (Diapheromera femorata). Male I believe. Good find :)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool.

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

OK, Matt, how do you know it's male? Those thingies on its behind? Give me some good vocabulary words so i can sound like I know what I'm talking about, lol! (The Latin name helps with that too -- thanks!)

It was right on our front door. Walking sticks and praying mantises seem to enjoy it there for some reason. (Maybe because I always forget and leave the porch light on, attracting insects for them to eat?)

7. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Awsome find!

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Males of this species are thin and brown. Females are larger and have more of a green tint to them, so it's not as fancy of a sexing method as you may have hoped, lol. The thingies on it's behind are calle cerci though ;)

Mantids would definately be attracted to porch insects, but stick insects eat the leaves of deciduous trees (picky eaters they are too!). In your area you'll see both Chinese mantids and the much smaller Carolina mantid. Technically speaking, the term "mantis" can only accurately be used for mantids in the genus Mantis. All other mantids are, well, mantids. But nobody really cares, lol, as both terms are often used. Chinese mantids are Tenodera sinensis and Carolina mantids are Stagmomantis carolina and they're very easy to tell apart.

9. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Thanks, Matt!

"Technically speaking, the term "mantis" can only accurately be used for mantids in the genus Mantis. All other mantids are, well, mantids. But nobody really cares"

I think *somebody* cares! :D

We have BIG mantids on our porch. And once we had LOTS of tiny mantids in our house, because someone left the lid off the container that held the egg case, and they hatched! That was exciting.

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

very cool! thanks for sharing. :)

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Great find Betsy!! And thanks for the info Matt, I definatley care!!! Youre full all this info about pretty much every animal thats ever lived, Its very impressive :D

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well you wanted some vocabulary ;) ....although that's really more in the "trivia" category....oh well, lol.

Those huge mantids are Chinese. Carolinas max out at 3 inches long, and have a different body structure and color pattern.

13. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome find Betsy!

14. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I'm just giving you a hard time, Matt. I'm one of those people who cares about all kinds of little things, just because it's interesting to find things out. I always was made fun of in school... But I didn't care about THAT all that much!

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, didn't you know? I'm a leading authority on giving people a hard time ;)

16. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I didn't miss that, actually... I miss a lot of things -- like I have no idea what music is "cool" anymore, or what shows are on TV these days, etc. But I caught on to you right away.

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If I like it, then it's cool. It's that simple really. Cool just meant "slightly cold" until I was born :cool: ;)

18. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

It's illegal to get almost any kind of mantid in canada and stick insects need a permit too...it's just too bad nobody up here enforces it cause they'd make a TON of money catching and fining everyone.

We had a flower mantid, african mantid and a chinese mantid in our entomology class the other day, as well as a "leaf insect" (aka walking insect) as well as males and females of another variety of leaf insect. I wish we had cool things here in alberta...

oh wait, we do, they're called bellostomatids! Giant water insects (like 3 inches long or so, I'm bad with american measurements) that have a REALLY nasty bite.

Lucky you though, darn you and your snow absent locality!

19. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You mean these things?
    Princess Sophia:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Princess Sophia eating a smaller waterbug.
    [​IMG]

20. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

If not that same one then one in the same genus, I believe. Ours are a bit darker and I think perhaps bigger than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.