This Disappears When Logged In

Steppe Runner Or Gargoyle Gecko?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by CrazedHoosier, Aug 21, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

So I have narrowed my next lizard move down to 2 options (thanks to the people on this forum). I have to decide between the gargoyle gecko and the steppe runner. Keep in mind, I am a beginner. All I have as far as reptiles go, are a crested and a leo. I love the idea of using a sand/soil substrate for the steppe, and love that it's diurnal. However, I love the small floor space the gargoyle enclosure needs, and their overall independent nature. So can you guys help me out here? Going from having a crested and leo, which will be easiest? Will it be difficult to adjust to keeping a diurnal lizard? Are diurnal lizards more expensive because of the lights? Which is more docile and handleable?

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

A Gargoyle is going to be very similar to your crested. The Runner will be a step up (IMO) from both of these animals but not too difficult. You will need basking light, uv light, and overall heat gradient. Bulbs which provide uvb light are going to be more expensive. I think a decent setup could be simply obtained from a mecury vapor bulb for both basking and uvb since the size of the enclosure won't be too huge - it should provide ample uvb radiation. A heat mat on the thermostat would maintain your desired temps 24 hours for when the light is off at night.

My personal recommendations would be price out those devices and see if you can get the enclosure setup prior to having the animal. This prevents any last minute rushing around to accommodate the animals needs. Some sources will say a 10 gallon tank is suitable, but at least a 20 long will be more suited to provide a good warm cold transition.

Hopefully this helps you in making a decision.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And just to clarify. They are talking about reptile specific UVB mercury vapors. The regular hardware store mercury vapors do not provide UVB.

CrazedHoosier likes this.
  4. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

Thanks for your reply! I've heard that the steppe runner will let you hold them from hatchlings. Can the gargoyle rival this amount of calmness? I think they'll end up costing the same since the steppe itself is much cheaper than the gargoyle. Also, will the gargoyle need an erected 20 gallon long as well?

5. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I've heard the gargoyles are usually tame with the occasional grump. They would also require at least a 20 preferably with the vertical conversion.

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yeah gargs are usually very nice. It's the tokays you have to watch out for ;).
    The gargoyle gecko would be something similar to the two animals you keep now, all geckos, so probably less of a learning curve. But at the same time you might like the variety of having a different kind of lizard like the steppe runner.