This Disappears When Logged In

Steal of a Deal

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Dragoness, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I work at a resale thrift store, and someone donated this beast. The manager thought it was a glass display case, and remarked about how nobody would want it because it doesn't have the storage area underneath. Marked it at $35. After my employee discount, I paid $28.06 for it. Tempered glass, sliding glass doors (with locks), the bottom cleans very easy. It was previously inhabited by a snake - there was dry urates in it, and they had taped down the top piece of glass. It took some time with a scraper, goo-gone, and windex, but it looks very nice now.

It measures 72x27x20". It could be used as one cage, or as a duplex, if I put a divider in the middle.

2.7.11_007.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

wow! thats freaking awesome!

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That IS a steal! Good for you and your crew. :)

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

awesome find!!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The cage did not come with keys for the locks. I am working on removing them (I cannot find a company stamp, logo, or number on them to order replacement keys) I am just going to replace the lock. Probably with this:Amazon.com: CRL Duranodic Finish Stick-On Showcase Lock: Home Improvement

I have that lock on my big boas cage - two words, LOVE IT. Many of my other cages have ratchet locks, which work, but are a pain. I was never able to find this lock until I really started looking today - I'm glad I did!

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, Jen that is one awesome find!!!!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nice find Jen!
    As for the locks, you could always have a locksmith make you keys for it.

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I found locks at lowes for display cases, they work great!

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Wow, how great!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I might check out my lowes before I buy the locks. Their website doesn't have the ones I am looking for, but that doesn't mean anything. I really like the stick-on style. I currently have these on most of my cages:

http://www.knapeandvogt.com/resources/prod/400/217x217/img_793.jpg

They work, but they wobble, and sometimes the screw on the inside catches on the cage furniture, if the snakes have redecorated their homes.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, I can't believe that you are so lucky, I guess it pays to work at a thrift store.

Very jealous, but glad you were able to find such a great deal:)

Maybe I'll start volunteering at the local ReStore store!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's exactly where this was too, lol. I work at a local HFH ReStore. We get some of the darndest things in...

13. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

That is a great find.:)

14. FourAndCounting

FourAndCounting Active Member

That is awesome! You know, an old display case WOULD be great to use! I wanted to get the 40 gal terrarium with the doors on the front, but after looking more, I decided to go with the regular, top opening 40 gal for $150 less. I also found one on craigslist and when I went to pick it up, I saw their new enclosure. It was a huge plastic looking case with sliding doors and a spot made in the top for the lights. They could even be stacked if more were bought.

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like a vision cage!

16. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Great find, looks like it is in excellent condition too! I would say that is almost as good as what I got my leopard gecko for. I got my leopard gecko, 10 gallon tank, hide and water dish for 30$ from my mother's friend from work.

However it also came with calcium sand, a heat rock and crickets running around the enclosure.

All of which we're removed and replaced with regular extra fine sand, crickets in a cricket keeper and a UTH within the first week. Because as soon as I got him I started researching and realized the dangers of that enclosure upon finding this sites caresheet. Then I registered to gain furthur knowledge and now that's how I'm here today. :)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

regular sand isn't all that much better than calci-sand, nor is it what leos live on naturally. They live in rocky areas. Slate or other stones would look nice in there, and could be stacked to make steps and caves, as long as they were stable (could always glue them together with some aquarium silicon)

I found the locks I am going to use - and for $10 each, I am going to replace the ratchet locks on my other cages too. Just gotta wait for that tax return to show up...

18. UroWannaBe

UroWannaBe Member

Any progress pics on how this is coming along?
    Thanks,

Gerardo

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on your luck there! Nice find!

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread is from almost a year ago!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.