This Disappears When Logged In

Standing Water in Tank

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by mbinebri, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mbinebri

mbinebri Member

I've seen quite a few tutorials on how to build a vivarium (specifically for dart frogs) but I'm confused on the use of the bottom layer of gravel and things like that. Should you fill it with at least some amount of water, or just use it for drainage? I've seen one tutorial that says to fill it with water and it makes sense that doing so would help for humidity and aesthetics if you have a pond of some sort. But I also wonder about standing water. In a lot of vivariums I've seen with ponds (without waterfalls), I see no sign of a water pump or other way of moving water. Is standing water okay? Is tossing in a moss ball all you need to do?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can`t advise on keeping amphibians, but as far as standing water, if it`s a relatively large ammount, you will need a filter, otherwise, it will soon be stagnant (unless you can change it daily), someone should be along before too long to offer more advise.

3. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

having standing water isnt the best, if you do have a "pond" you need to have some sort of filtration or siphon the water out and replace it often.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Personally, I don't even use gravel for drainage. As long as you have live plants and don't over-water, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'd just stick with a shallow dish with a few large rocks. Easy to change out.