This Disappears When Logged In

Stacked Enclosure.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by LrqPeat, Apr 1, 2014.

1. LrqPeat

LrqPeat New Member

I'm looking to build a custom enclosure for my adult bearded dragon and soon to adopt ball python. Obviously they will be in seperate places. So my idea is to have one in top of the other as the tank size requirements will be similar, while having it be one peice. I have a glass tank that would be good for one of them. The rest would probably be made of melamine. My main concern is heating. My Beardy is an old girl so I am not up to date on the current tech for reptiles. She currently has a heating pad/lamp and her uv. My ball would need a heat source but no uv. Soo.. My question is.. What would you do?
    Would the ball in glass with a large heating pad be warm enough ? My beardie then could have heat lamps and uv and would as a result be the top tank? Obviously my thinking us all over the place so any advice would be appreciated.

One last thing. I already have two seperate enclosures but I would prefer a custom built one where they are together to save space in my house and showcase them better!!

Thank you!!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would think that having the Bearded Dragon enclosure below the snake would help to heat the boa enclosure above.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

What your talking about, It seems similar to what I built for mine. Keep in mind, im a horrid picture taker. It's now used for storage but it's there if I ever decide to get a ton of reptiles. It is 4 x 2 x 2 each enclosure but there is 3 separate enclosures. We used plywood for the construction but for added support we used one of those industrial shelving units as a frame.

Inside, we have 18" bulbs for lighting all in those cheap 5.00 timers you can get anywhere. The cheap fixtures from Lowe's worked for us. We used linoleum on the sides, and used snap n lock flooring for bottom. I do not recommend using snap n lock. Tile is better for heat distribution.

For heat we used 11" heat tape underneath the flooring on one side. Plexiglass framed out, then locks on each one.

So, what I noticed on mine is that the bottom one was allways cooler. It had to be set at a higher temp. The middle one was the warmest by far.

Here's the link to mine.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/41139-custom-vision-cages.html