This Disappears When Logged In

Spotted Salamander Question

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by Julianna, May 28, 2015.

1. Julianna

Julianna New Member

Hello! There is a window well outside of my house and recently I have discovered what I estimate to be 10-15 salamanders living there. I believe they are spotted salamanders. I was wondering what I can do to ensure their survival and happiness as they are quite enjoyable. perhaps a hut as they seem to like shade?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would say that with that amount condensed in an area it must already be a great living situation for them.
    Or are they fresh hatchlings?

Julianna likes this.
  3. Julianna

Julianna New Member

I've never seen them before so I am wondering if they have been living there forever or have come there since the weather has been suitable for them. I don't want them to be uncomfortable when it starts to heat up and get drier because don't have a way of getting out

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They had a way in. They have a way out. Many herps do not take kindly to suddenly being moved to a different location.
    Just leave them alone and enjoy watching them.

Julianna likes this.
  5. lisas

lisas Elite Member

They've probably been around and you haven't seen them. They are very elusive, living underneath rocks and dead wood. I have seen them in my yard as well but extremely rarely. They're gorgeous, aren't they?