This Disappears When Logged In

Spiny Softshell Turtle Needs New Home

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Garters45, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    I'm new to the herpcenter and was wondering if anyone here would like a male spiny softshell turtle. He is blind, with a scarred shell after being severely bullied by my female. We can't keep both and the female is more suited to pond life, so our male has to go. Would anyone like him? We are in Southern California and would prefer not to ship for the turtle's health. Since he is blind and scarred, most people probably don't want him, but maybe someone will.

Thank you all so much,
    LeafBlade12345

2. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

is it possible you could send us a picture? I could possibly get a temporary set up for him.

3. Garters45

Well, actually we would like to get him to a permanent home if possible. Would you give him away after housing him for a while? I will post pics soon

4. Garters45

Uh having trouble with posting pictures... How do I find the URL code for a photo?

5. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

Hello! I would love to take him off your hands! I've been thinking about getting a turtle lately. I also live in southern California (Chula Vista) So let me know if you want to talk about finding him a home :)

6. Garters45

Great! He is blind tho, and his shell isn't very pretty since it is scared, so if you want a very pretty turtle you may not want Oliver. But he is very sweet and very cool. Spiny softshells are an interesting breed. Would you be keeping him inside or outside?

7. Kristof

I don't care if they are pretty or not lol, I love animals. I would be keeping him inside. Would outside be better? I'm also wondering how you go about feeding him because of the fact he's blind.

8. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

let Kristof take him. I only got a 20 gallon long for him. would probably be a while until I got a larger tank

9. Garters45

Okay great! So Kristof, yes he would do much better Inside, not outside. He is pretty adapted to being blind, if you just put his food in the tank water he will move his nose around the edge of the tank and find the food. He will also search the ground. How big is the tank you are thinking of putting him in? He is small now, but will get 18 inches at most, though he seems to be a bit of a runt.

10. Kristof

I was also going to use a 20 gallon tank for the time being. I do have to ask my parents, I live with them and already have a few animals :p. But if all goes well I'd love him. SocialHerps, if you want him though go ahead, I know you are looking for a new buddy :)

11. Garters45

20 gal should work okay, as long as he is the only turtle. Thank you for your interest! We are looking at many candidates right now, let me know if your parents say yes and I will give you more info on housing, feeding, etc.

12. Kristof

Alright! Will get back to you by tomorrow :)

13. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

14. Garters45

Great! Thank you both again! I didn't think I would be able to find Oliver a home...well I'm glad I was wrong!

15. Garters45

Well I did some reading and figured out that a 20 gal tank probably isn't good enough for a spiny softshell Oliver's age. This link is very helpful in all regards, remember, this is the spiny softshell, there are many similar species talked about on this thread, so be careful. Thank you for your interest, here is the thread:
    Soft-Shelled Turtle Information and Care

16. Kristof

Do you know how big he is right now? I heard males only get 8 1/2"

17. Garters45

Yes 18 inches was a typo, sorry. He is about five inches, maybe more. I will check tomorrow. Right now he can probably be okay in a twenty gal, but when he is older he will probably need something bigger.

18. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

Hey man, hate to tell ya this but I can't take him. My parents are saying no because we are in a bit of a weird position right now. Sincere apologies. Praying Kristof can take him. :)

19. Garters45

That's okay, we have a lot of people willing to take him now, some friends, people from other forums, etc., so we shouldn't have any problem finding him a home. Thank you both for your time and interest!

20. Garters45

I will get back to you, Kristof, as soon as we figure out who is taking him. Thank you again!