This Disappears When Logged In

Spider mite help!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by SebastiansExotics, Dec 13, 2014.

1. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

I have zoo med frog moss in my pacman frogs tank... I put it in about a week ago and the moss turned yellow within a couple days. I always see this webby looking stuff in some areas. it is VERY small. I was reading about spider mites earlier today and I may just be paranoid cause I was reading about them But, could this be it? There is also some random plant growing out of my frog moss.

Could it just be water droplets? When misting a tank, Does moss get water on it looking like almost a web? I mist this tank heavily... Or maybe mold?

Please help guys.

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Wait ... spider mites build webs??

3. SebastiansExotics

Yes

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Guess that explains the spider part.

5. SebastiansExotics

And the fact they have 8 legs and are in the arachnid family

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between mold and webs. Keeping moss damp with high humidity is likely to result in mold. Spider mites are pests that attack live plants, eating the leaves. No danger to the frog, what's the worry?

7. SebastiansExotics

Oh LOL. I read online that spider mites killed packman frogs..

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Spidermites only feed off plants. They are completely harmless to other organisms.
    Now reptile mites are a totally different critter.

mayhmmaydn likes this.
  9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Spider mites may kill any other plants in your viv, but that's it.

As to the plant growing out of your moss, many mosses are harvested from the wild for sale, and frequently contain dormant seeds and spores that will grow once the right conditions are met again.