This Disappears When Logged In

Spazzing Eastern Fence Lizard That Goes Stiff

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Kimberleanne, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

Help. He spazzed out like he had a seizure and went stiff. Now it seems his rear legs do not work. Not eating or drinking. I have put him in a warm bath and massaged his belly and now he has some movement but not much. Some energy off and on.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

What are you feeding him and what are his temps? This sounds like you need to go to a vet asap. Possible MBD

3. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

Small crickets dusted and sometimes flies. Once a month I give him a couple Rollie pollies. I make sure the daytime and nighttime Temps are average and sometimes allow window sill sun basking.

4. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

I'm kinda new to having lizards. What is MBD?I've had him for 5 months. I weed waked part of his tail so I brought him in. Got him better and his tail grew back.

5. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

20170316_203139.jpg this is from a 2 months ago.

6. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

20170801_233144.jpg this is now

7. AmityReptiles

Mbd as in metabolic bone disease. Usually caused by a lack of calcium in diet and/or uv light. But I can't make a prognosis, I can only tell you what the symptoms sound like. We can give you husbandry tips for the future, but once the lizard can't walk or is having spasms you need to take him to the vet for sure.

8. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

Gotcha. I'll call tomorrow and tell them I'm coming. Other than very little movement in his rear legs he's normal. He moves his tail and body just not the legs. He's not seizing like he did last night so that's good. Thank you.

9. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

Thanks for your info. I contacted a vet 200 miles away that cares for lizards. Said his habitat and diet was perfect. Told me to sat putting his tank outside for half a day everyday and gut load crickets, pinch there back legs off to make it easier for him to catch them. Happy to say he is catching and eating, seizures have slowed and he has twitching in his rear legs. The vet said thus is expected and he will recover but may not be back to 100% ever. I told him when it first happened I thought he broke his back but his tail still moved. That it was just his rear legs and the seizures. Vet said it was probably bad water. When I thought back we did lose water at our home for 1 day and never thought to boil it after. So from now on he only gets bottled or cooled boiled water.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, no vet can say whether a habitat is "perfect" without actually seeing it in person. You haven`t mentioned what the temps and humidity are or how you measure them?

11. AmityReptiles

He told you to put his tank outside?

12. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

He was wild caught. Yes outside for short periods of time on a patio with half the tank shaded. And Wizard has improved.

13. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

When researching for habitat and how to feed eastern fence lizards I spoke with 4 people from Virginia Tech that studies only wild caught eastern. All they have done for over 10 years is study and care for wild caught easterns. All of his habitat is made up of things that were in his birth habitat. Only artificial thing is the lizard turf, a plant, the lighting and vitamin dust. His food I catch. I live in Ms so it's hot and muggy most of the time so his Temps day 90 degrees nights 70 to 75. Humidity is high and muggy. Just like it was in his natural home.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need a new vet! Telling you to put the tank outside in the sun is a big red flag. Sitting the tank in the sun can quickly overheat it whether part of it is shaded or not. Think getting in a closed car in summer. Whew!
    And bad water does not result in paralysis. If the water was bad it would make the lizard sick or even kill it.
    What you are describing sounds like the result of feeding too large of crickets
    This results in the shell creating a blockage, putting pressure on the hips and back legs resulting in the paralysis.

15. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

I only put the tank out once. So, I just took him out and let him sun in my lap a few times yesterday. I put him in a warm water bowl and massaged his belly. He perked up alot after. Results this morning he has pooped. Still has limp rear legs. He's trying to eat but can't catch fast enough and will not eat if I try to help by removing crickets legs. He's not seizing anymore. What else can I do?

16. AmityReptiles

I was thinking this too, but if its a complete screen top it wouldn't have the same effect right? But there's probably still a possibility of overheating.

17. AmityReptiles

I would suggest providing a good uv light. Florescent tube type. It will help with healing and appetite among other things. Maybe offer soft foods like small red wigglers or waxworms along with the crickets. Really the more variety the better.

18. Kimberleanne

Kimberleanne Member

Thank you. I have a tube uv light coming and can I get the red wigglers from a pet store? I catch most of his food from where I got him and I really do not trust the people at our petco and petsmart. They gave us so much bad advice with our Oscar fish Leo.

19. AmityReptiles

You can, I find feeders from petco to be pretty good, but yeah I wouldn't take advice from them lol. You can find red wigglers at bait shops too. Just make sure it's chemical free and nothing weird in the dirt. And make sure they look healthy (no dead ones, wounded ones, etc)

20. AmityReptiles

Wild caught food can be dangerous... parasites pesticides etc... if the crickets got into or around some weed killer or pesticide that can cause nerve damage or worse to the lizard... Just fyi. Feeders are cheap and pet store ones are alot safer, plus you gutload them so you know they are getting good nutrition to your reptile.