This Disappears When Logged In

Southern Ringneck Snake!

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by smallgrayfox, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm so jealous! While out on walk after work, my husband found and held a tiny little snake about 6 inches long, that after some research this evening we found out was a southern ringneck snake. It didn't try to bite or musk him or anything! What I would give to have been there with him! :(

He didn't have a camera, but we found pictures on this website of the same kind of snake at right about the size of the one my husband found. Here's the link if you want to see:
    http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Diadophis_punctatus_punctatus

I've never seen this particular snake, although I think I may have heard of it once. Anyway...just wanted to share! :)

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, what a beauty! And so cute and tiny too! I wish I had been there to hold it!
    I love the orange belly.
    So cool, thanks for sharing that!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your husband was lucky! I have found a few Ringnecks but always under rocks or something. I have never seen one out in the open.
    They are a beautiful little snake though!

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

It was right out in the middle of the sidewalk...my husband almost stepped on it! :eek: Thank goodness he saw it in time though... he says he put his hand down, and the little guy just slithered right on! So incredible! I read that if you scare them, they musk really badly with foul feces and everything, so it's probably a good thing the little snake was willing to climb onto his hand. If it had been trying to slither away from him and he picked it up, scaring it...ewwww.... :p

Does anyone know if these snakes only found in the wild? Or are there captive bred ones out there somewhere?

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Hey! You should be happy he even touched the snake!
    Maybe you're warping him over to "our side" afterall? ;) lol

6. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

So strange to see people excited about ringnecks. Here in Kansas we find them by the hundreds. Its still early, and yesterday we only found 10 of them. Usually for us its considered a bad day if we find a lot of ringnecks. As for ringnecks biting, you wont know it unless you see them do it. I had a 16" ringneck bite once and its teeth werent large enough to break the skin. My friend Chad found 200+ ringnecks a couple days ago. I have found 30 of them under one board.

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Up here in Jersey they are a rare find, I have only encountered one in the last couple of years. This is a pic of Lauren holding it.
    [​IMG]

8. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I just read an article about Ringnecks in NE Kansas. It said that the biomass of ringnecks in NE Kansas is greater than the biomass of all other snake species combined.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok so what you are telling us is you Kansas folks are hogging all the Ringnecks! :p
    How about letting the rest of us have some! ;)

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

What a cute little snake, so tiny, :D

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

they're so adorable. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.