This Disappears When Logged In

Soon to Be NEW Sulcata Tortoise Owners

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by GeckoLover, Jul 13, 2011.

1. GeckoLover

GeckoLover Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am getting my new addition tomorrow. I won it in an auction from Scales n Tales on Facebook for $46. I am in shock & awe that I actually won the bidding war!

Any & ALL information and knowledge on/of Sulcata Tortoises is much appreciated since there doesn't seem to be a care sheet here.

Here's a photo of the little booger. http://www.herpcenter.com/members/g...scales-n-tails-auction-will-also-coming-soon/ Let me know what you think! I'll take more photos once we are settled in. Thanks ahead of time!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry can't give you any advice, I know nothing about them! Just wanted to say congratulations on the new Sulcata Tortoise, he is a cute little booger! LOL:x

What is around the neck, is that normal? :confused:

3. GeckoLover

Thank you! I think it's ADORABLE! \

Just got confirmation the will be "home" by 10:30 a.m. on Friday. They aren't going out today but tomorrow, was too late when he got there... *deep sigh* But I'm still STOKED!!!

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Gives you more time to prepare for the new arrivals!

5. GeckoLover

exactly! :d;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just out of curiosity but exactly how do you intend to house it?
    You do know how big they get?

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I was curious about that too Merlin. I couldn't handle having a giant tortoise, lol.
    Congrats and good luck with your new tortoise! :)
    I couldn't see the pics either :(

8. Merlin

And being in Colorado, keeping it outside is REALLY not an option!

9. GeckoLover

WOW... didn't think I'd get this kind of reaction from everyone???

Well while it is small it will be in a tank, right now it is in a 55 gallon tank. When the weather is cold it will be inside, it will have it's own area depending on it's size. I live out in the country on a 40 acre ranch... there is plenty of room to build it it's own building here! It arrived this morning & is doing fantastic!

Here's the album of the photos http://www.herpcenter.com/members/geckolover/albums/turtles-painted-sulcata-tortoise/

10. GeckoLover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See if I can post pictures here so you can see Rawr

11. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Tortoises should never be kept in a Tank, the air gets way to stagnant and glass stresses them out. That said I got my Sulcata from scales and Tales in Co. Spring and this is how I house it for now. First off dump the tank and go to Lowes and get a Concrete Mixing Tub. They are only $10 and 36X24, and way better suited. Put about two-three inches of jungle coir in there, and keep that a bit damp at all times. While a arid species, lack of humidity leads to pyramiding in Sulcata's. Sulcata's also need a hide and expect it too use it most of the team, they hide a lot. Next add a nice size soaking dish, Sulcata's poop in their water and drink as they soak. They also need to be soaked once a week in lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes.

For its basking and heat spot, since your using a tub, I would just get a clamp light and a Nice MVB bulb. Check the humidity daily and ensure its around 60%, mist substrate *** needed to maintain this and MIST THE TORTOISE DAILY, this is very important. This set-up will serve it for a year or two, after that you will have to look into a Bigger Tortoise table or a outdoor enclosure.

For diet, Grass, Hay, dark greens such as Kale, Romaine, Collards, Dandelions, and stuff such as Clover should be its main diet. Once or twice a week give it treats such as peppers, Cucumber, carrots, Squash, etc. Fruit should be limited to once a month or not at all, Sulcata's are not Reddfoots and do not process fruit well. ABSOLUTELY NO PROTEIN AT ALL. It serves Sulcata's no purpose and can cause them kidney issues.

12. GeckoLover

Thanks for the information Methos.

13. jaaron01

jaaron01 Member

Tell ya what I did when my tort was a little fellow. I bought the timothy hay for rabbits and cut it into tiny little pieces. Then bought Collard Greens, and endive. I would tear up the greens and endive then run them under the water. Place the wet greens in a zip-lock bag and throw some of the cut up hay in there as well. Place a little rep-ti cal in and shake it up good. That way the little guy was getting his greens but some hay as well. Seemed like a good mix as he's now about 68lbs and no pyramiding. Hes a little over 12 yrs old.

14. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

wow good thing i read this my cousin just got a baby sulcata tortoise ima make sure he changes the tank he has it in also i have one question what are the temps supposed to be and would a solar glo 150w be better than a 100w powersun??

15. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

Okay, the biggest thing to watch out for is diet. I just recently found out that my sulcata is less than half of the average size for torts her age (10) because all we fed her was dark leavy greens, apples and carrots. Since then, I have her on a calcium supplement, and I'm giving her bene-bac to replenish the enzymes that she needs to digest the right foods. The pet shop across the street from me has a sulcata that lives there, they feed it orchard grass pellets, $25 for a 50 lb bag, Bell Peppers, Squash, and she drinks out o a small dog bowl during the day. I have since started freezing my grass clippings, (she LOVES them) and made her a puree with pumpkin and grass that I used to put her vitamins and enzymes in because she wasnt eating her pellets, but they'll always eat pumpkin. I did that for a week and started putting in more pellets than puree. She has grown 3/4 of an inch in the past 2.5 weeks, shown more activity, and is pooping regularly now. So I must be doing something right haha!

16. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

And too many dark leafy greens will cause pyramiding.

17. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

yea too much protein will cause that some greens have alot of it so i told my cousin to vary their sulcatas diet also he gets a calcium powder with out d3 d3 supplements arent really as good better to just get a good bulb and check periodically

18. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I feed mine dandelion greens and clover mostly. They are both very high in fiber and low in protein. And calcium supplements are a must!

19. Merlin

If you are talking about the clippings from a power lawn mower, I would advise against that.
    Most power lawn mowers will have gasoline and oil residue mixed in with the clippings.