This Disappears When Logged In

Soon to Be Empty Tank. Whats Next?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by uncertainsky, Mar 8, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

I have an exo Terra 18x18x24 that now has a 6 month old water dragon. This summer I should be finished with his new enclosure which will be 5.5'x4'x7'.

So what should I get that would be comfortable in the exo Terra? I would prefer a herp that will comfortable in it for its whole adult size. Any herp will be great, I would like it be able to use the hight this tank has but it's not a necessity.

So what do you guys think should be my next addition? And I am asking now so I have time to do proper research before I acquire it.

Thanks!

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

For that size I recomend any lizard that doesn't get bigger then 12 inches. A leopard gecko would work out good. Or some other smaller geckos like the crested.

A smaller snake like a sand boa, cornsnake or hognose would fit too.

Depends what you like too :) I recomend doing some caresheet surfing and see what would work for you!
    Reptile Caresheets browse through those and see what fits your needs and wants!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Actually the tank is 18x18 and 24in high so leopard gecko, sand boa, cornsnake and hog nose won't work. They need more floor space and less height.
    However a crested gecko would work very well and you wouldn't need to redecorate the cage. They love lots of plants and will climb right up the glass so they would love the height. Crested geckos can also be handled.
    If you want something that you don't handle much anoles would work.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ok thanks Thala :) Never have had one of those tanks before(and don't plan on it, I find them too expensive for their size, but thats just me lol). So something aboreal would use up all that space!
    Whites tree frog
    Anoles
    Tokay gecko(these guys are hands off)
    Crested gecko
    Pretty much all the "sticky" feet small lizards :)

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Gargoyles are pretty cool.

6. uncertainsky

It was my first terrarium I got last year. It cost $130. I only got it because it came with the background, temp/hydro combo gauge, small waterfall with pump, and 2 uvb bulbs and the canopy all by exo-terra from a pet shop at its grand opening.

I was at another local herp shop and saw some gargoyle geckos and they look awesome! Every time I see them they are up high on the glass. Would they be a good fit for this terrarium like a crested?

7. uncertainsky

Lol kriminaal answered right as I hit submit on the gargoyle question

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LOL, I had a gargoyle for my daughter. It was hard at times to find him. Usually they don't climb the glass as much as a Crested would. At least mine didn't and I read that somewhere. Which was my decision over a Crestie so I wouldn't need to clean the glass as much.

9. uncertainsky

Yesterday when I went in they had this beautiful red striped gargoyle. Never seen one before yesterday. Does anyone know if that's a color morph? And if so are there others? Could only imagine what a blue gargoyle would look like if its even possible.

And also my fiancé really loves frogs. Shes actually the reason i got into herps with her FBTs. Would poison darts like and do well in this tank?

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yes a small group of dart frogs would work as well. Projo has some really neat set ups you could ask him about what kind and how many to get.

Also yes the red stripe is a color morph of gargoyle. They don't have blue though. Here's a site that explains them: Gecko Morphs

11. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Or for more gecko ideas, I'd go with maybe a crested gecko!? Bascially the same as a gargoyle, but cresties can climb the glass!:)

12. uncertainsky

Would a rhino rat snake do well in a cage like this? I know they are arboreal but not sure of their adult size.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think the rat snake get between 3-5 feet so the tank is too small.