This Disappears When Logged In

Soon - Doing My Own Fecals

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Dragoness, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That is awesome!!

Gosh i would love a microscope for myself. I always had SO much fun with them in my biology courses in college. They weren't as fun at the factory I worked at, but that's because they were used to find faults in the parts we were working on so the boss could yell at us lol.

I also would love to learn how to do my own fecals. Is that something I could read a book or 2 on? Or something I would certainly need experience with working under a licensed vet? I know anything i could do would be no replacement for a sample sent to a lab, but it would be nice to be able to check myself in-between the bi-annual samples I do with my vet. being able to catch a red-flag myself would be very helpful.

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wonderful! That is very cool. I am sure you know what I mean,lol. If checking poop is cool haha.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a wonderful Christmas present for yourself! Hope you have lots of fun playing with your microscope.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Fecals are easy if you have the microscope, slides, and fecasol, and a parasite identification guide. At the moment, I can get everything I need to start off for about $200. I'll have to buy more fecasol, and slides periodically, but the cost is minimal. It is something you could easily learn from a book, or from watching someone else do it.

There are 3 kinds of fecals, a smear, a float, and a sedimentation, if you want to do all 3, it is very thorough. Most vets only do a float, or a smear, (Sedimentation takes longer - about an hour, so it is rarely done unless they suspect something.)

I still have my booklet on it, and could easily run off copies. It is not as hard as it sounds at all. It's just a matter of having the tools you need.

Microscope

Slides and slide covers

Fecasol (Sodium nitrate solution w/ ~1.200 specific gravity). You can buy this pre-mixed, or make your own, and use a Hydrometer to test the gravity of your solution. Also need a small squeeze bottle for dispensing the solution. There are generics available, as long as it's sodium nitrate 1.200, it's all the same. I have heard some people make their own solution with table salt. The whole point of the solution is to make the eggs float - so if you put too much in, it should still work fine. I have not personally done this method.

Container to do the samples in - disposable fecalyzer of reusable test tubes.

Parasite ID guide - so you know what you found. This is the one the zoo uses. I have a paper copy, but I'll be getting a nice laminated one soon. (HerpSupplies.com - Reptile Parasite Identification Chart & Formulary, Klingenberg - Reptile Parasite Identification Chart & Formulary plastic coated identif...)

6. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

That's Awsome it's actualy something I ve been reading up on with our pets growing an more coming would be very useful to learn how to do between vet visits.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's awesome. I have a strong interest in this as well. I am trying to get Angie to learn how to do blood and fecal work so I can buy her the equipment to do it at home for my reptiles. lol It will be very handy when I go commercial scale with the breeding.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or we could all just send all our fecals to Jen!
    What a package to open on Christmas day! LOL!

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I used to do all the fecal exams at the veterinary practices where I worked. Do you think you will find a vet who will RX medications based on your (positive) results?

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great Idea! I was going to ask for a urine test, it hurts when I P!

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

you can also use a sugar solution, but it has to be a certian specific gravity, i have some books at home so i can verify concetrations and everything, but really fecal floatation isnt that accurate, you can miss certain parasites, mainly the protazoin ones like giardia, isospora and such. The gold standard is definately zinc sulfate centrifugation, you rarely miss anything with this, usually takes about 15 min. Major draw back is you need a centrifuge, which is very expensive, a few thousand for a good one. I worked at a practice that did these in house, where I work now we send out to a lab because of the volume of clients we see. Usually do a float here and there just to take a quick peek. And with identifying parasites under a scope, it just takes practice, the more you do the better you get at it.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Floats are quick and easy, but if you want more thorough results, you can also do sedimentation, or smears (I have done all 3) but I have no experience with a centrifuge at all. Did not have one of those at work.

I think I'll pass on the poop - it isn't exactly on my Christmas list. I could run off copies of the guides for you guys though!

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

just out of curiosity, what do you mean by sedimentation, would you mind explaining the process to me? thanks