This Disappears When Logged In

Sonoran Gopher Snake Help

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Notafrog, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

My Sonoran Gopher snake is about 18 inches long. She is in a 30 gallon long with two hides. Temps are 76 and 85. She also has a large water bowl with fresh water constantly.

I am here because she has not had any fecal matter or urates in 16 days. She has eaten twice since then, two pinkies and a fuzzie a week later.
    I have only had her for 6 weeks and the couple of time she did go, it was very minimal.

I gave her a bath on Saturday and she just shed yesterday. But no fecal still.

I am just wondering if I should be worried? Should I feed her like normal tomorrow?
    I have never dealt with a baby snake, so I am not sure about their digestion timeline.

~Alecia

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sure that a member with more knowledge on Gopher snakes will be by to help!

Are her feeders large enough?

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Are you sure there is no feces? Is she on paper? If she is on Aspen, it can get lost pretty easily.

If she is on paper, and you are sure there is no waste, she could be impacted.

4. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

Thats something I was wondering. cause I heard that if their meals aren't enough they will use it all and not have much waste.

I bumped her up to fuzzies pretty quickly. And they are pretty large fuzzies. So I think that is fine. Also I feed her every friday.

But who knows, like I said I don't have any experience with young snakes. Only established snakes.

5. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I would suggest keeping her on paper, if you are not right now, for about 2 weeks. Then you will be certain.

They should eliminate about 3 to 5 days after they eat.

6. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

ok I will. She is on aspen, so I'll change it.

Is there anything else I can do??

7. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

My Sonoran gopher likes to burrow- if you don't see fecal matter and urate, it could be under the surface.

I also suggest you get your snake off of the aspen. Until you figure out where those poops are going, put it on paper towel or newspaper. If you're not already, feed in a different enclosure or off of a piece of paper towel or newspaper.

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Your temps sound spot on. The paper substrate should put you at ease.

With my smaller snakes, I rarely see their waste until I change out the entire Aspen once a month. I then see it stuck to the floor of the bin.

My larger snakes seem to eliminate on top of the Aspen, so it is easy to spot clean.

More than likely, you have nothing to worry about. And once you find that everything is good, you can go back to Aspen. That is what I keep all of my snakes on.

Keep us updated!

9. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

OK i'll keep ya'll updated..

Should i go ahead and feed her tomorrow??

10. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

She might get stressed after the substrate change. You should offer her the food, and she may or may not eat it, but if she doesn't it's probably okay. She sounds well fed :)

11. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

good news... after a large meal on Friday and a bath on Tuesday, she passed a lot of stuff on Wednesday! (my boyfriend told me I was crazy for be so excited over a snake pooping. lol.)
    I am going to keep her on paper towels for one more meal just to make sure she is all good.
    Otherwise she has been much happier lately. She is not getting fussy when I hold her and has been out and about in her tank more. :)

Thanks for all ya'll's help!!!!

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poop! Poop is always good:p
    Great news Happy Dance is in order!

13. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thank you for the update. So glad to hear!

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

very good to hear...thanks for giving the update:)