This Disappears When Logged In

Something's Wrong

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by marya1962, Jul 14, 2014.

1. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

Silk has always been a bit wobbly when slithering, but recently she is wobbly to the point of flipping over. And her head has developed a twitch within the last month. I'm wondering what's going on. I cannot afford the vet until September or October and this has me really worried. Could it be IBD? She absolutely doesn't have mites so how could she have gotten it?

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

What are your temps and how are you measuring them? Too hot can cause issues like this. Other then that you should try to find a way to get her to a vet asap. I would recommend not getting any new reptiles, mainly snakes at this time until you are sure it is not IBD.

3. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

Right now Silk is being kept at room temp with no belly heat and no ceramic overhead heater. We don't have a swamp or AC. Most of the time it is in the low to mid nineties with her getting misted down, a fan blowing on her, cool baths and evening outings when she gets misted with a hose. She gets cool water at all times and has a frozen water bottle wrapped in a towel in the afternoon. She has been eating well thawed food and defecating normally. The summer is when she puts on weight.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

How is this snake doing now? Have you been to a vet yet?

It may not be ibd but if it is, make sure she is far away from any of your other reptiles.

These symptoms can also be caused by some toxin like cedar wood (especially if it gets into her drinking water!), or some insect spray that may have been used near her. I have known snakes to die from being exposed to mosquito spray.

Please let us know how she is doing.