This Disappears When Logged In

Some Local Herping

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Reptileherps, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Reptileherps

Reptileherps Well-Known Member

I went herping today, and there were Water Snakes all over the place. We also saw a small alligator.

Our first find was dead unfortunately, but it let us know they were out there.
    p4041493.jpg

Then we started finding some that were still alive...And all of these are different individuals by the way.

p4041494.jpg

p4051496.jpg

Any idea of what kind of Water Snake this is? It looked different than the rest to me.
    p4051498.jpg

p4051501.jpg

p4051518.jpg

p4051520.jpg

p4051531.jpg

This was the only one I could manage to catch without having to jump into the water. And he was not happy about it.

p4051511.jpg

p4051516.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mele

mele Elite Member

Amazing!!! If I go herping around here, All I'll find is a few gopher snakes or if im lucky a rattlesnake. Great finds!! Thanks for sharing.

3. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Great finds, I haven't been able to find any snakes around here as of yet.

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Where are you located? Locality information is important for species identification. Also, are those just regular leather gloves you're wearing?

5. Jeninpa76

Jeninpa76 Elite Member

No way I'd do that where I live! lol We are polluted with snakes & have even had several Copperheads & Rattlesnakes right in our yard! We live out in the mountains in Central,PA :)

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great photos! And thanks for sharing, were expecting 20 cm of snow tomorrow, so not much around her right now. We only get garter snake here, but it's always a delight when we see them. Last year mom had one that would bask on her front porch.

7. Reptileherps

I'm in New Orleans. I'm thinking that one that I asked about is a banded water snake.

And yes, in that area there are plenty of cottonmouths. So we have to be careful

8. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Elite Member

Great pic's! I am fortunate enough to live in an area where venomous snakes are not common. Only the occasional copperhead.

9. Reptileherps

Well I don't have them by my house. I only see them in certain spots that I go to

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This may seem obvious but I think it's important to point it out because I have seen others make this mistake. Wearing leather gloves will not protect you from bites inflicted by venomous snakes. Fangs can puncture any material punctured by hypodermic needles.

This isn't necessarily to "ReptileHerps" but to anyone inexperienced to which that may seem like a good idea. :)