This Disappears When Logged In

Some good news for today

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Bitis Gabonica, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Thought I'd give you an update on the little ones.. all three just had their first sheds, and are looking more beautiful than ever! Time for their first feeds, here's hoping they eat - I'm quite confident that they will as they have been following fingers and actively searching around all week - very healthy and lively little things!

Also weighed them today, the two amels are 8g each and the motley is 7g - more than we expected!

Waiting for the next ones to hatch, which should be literally any day, and need to find more room in the freezer for 200 pinkie mice :p

More pics later... :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds great Rachel! Hatchlings are so much fun to watch!
    Specialy when they have attitude!

3. Bitis Gabonica

Not when they keep peeing on you and striking at you Merlin! :p

Clutch # 2 has just started hatching today!! So far we have a snow and 2 anerys out, and about 10 more to hatch, which should be all out by tomorrow. Letting them settle in and then i'll post some pics! :p

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's so exciting! I can hardly sit still! Come on Jack and Sally, grow up! I want to try too! :p

5. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Julianne :) - it's such a great feeling seeing the little ones hatch out and knowing that you have done something to help create them!

Here's some pics - this is our second clutch from a breeding of Haydes, our anery female, and Gramps, our normal male.

Hatchling 1 is a little snow, hatchling 2 an anery, and in the incubator box you can see hatchling 3, another anery, hiding away at the back behind the eggs, and to the left two eggs hatching! - from what i can see the next two out are going to be an amelanistic and a normal.. it's like opening presents at Christmas!! :D

Attached Files:

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

they are sooo adorable!!! one day i may think about breeding but at this time it wouldn't be a great idea for me. lol sometime in the future maybe. it just seems so exciting but i don't have the resources for it. but i love seeing the pics of all the babies around on the forum!! :D

7. smallgrayfox

:) Oh my gosh! What an experience!!! They're wonderful!

Ummm...at what age (or body length?) did you say it's best to breed corns? I know it'll be a long time before I can try with Jack and Sally. They aren't anywhere near grown yet, but I'd like to know how about long it will be. And I don't want to eventually make the mistake of putting them together too soon. :eek:

8. Bitis Gabonica

Thank you :)

Julianne - the best thing to go by is weight, although age can also determine breeding and the snake should be at least 2 yrs of age, although older is better. Generally you should wait til the snake is 250-300g in weight, although again the heavier the better. Males don't need to be as big or as old as females. So, how long do you have to wait?? :p

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations Rachel!!! Adorable babies... keep us posted on the rest of the hatchlings!
    They are so cute!!!!

10. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Congrats Rachel! The second one is a beauty!

11. smallgrayfox

Well, I'm guessing they're 8 months to a year or a little more old....can you tell me about what length a year old corn snake would be?

We got Jack last October and we got Sally in December, and each one was probably a few months old when we got him/her. So we have AT LEAST one more year to wait....probably more. We'll go by weight, I think rather than guessing at ages.

12. Bitis Gabonica

Can't really tell you about length Julianne, as you have to bear in mind that different snakes grow at different rates, and also some will stop at 3ft while others will get to 5ft, (e.g. miami corn snakes are usually a smaller morph that others, topping out at 3ft. Similarly our female amel motley is much smaller than our other corns were at her age). By a year in age, on average, though, I would suggest that anything from 2-4ft is normal.

Better to go by weight IMO, but age can lend a hand - with our Dumerils boas for instance, our female is not overly large but she is around 6yrs of age, so she has age on her side.

Time for another update on the hatchlings.. we now have our three amels from clutch # 1, and an amel, 2 anerys, a snow and 3 normals/oaketees from clutch # 2! .. another 5 peeking out, and then clutch # 3 should start in a week or two. :)
    (No need to ask.. ofcourse there will be pictures posted later :p )

13. Bitis Gabonica

Another update.. all babies have hatched from clutch #2 now, so we have in total 15 little ones keeping us busy at the mo - in the end we got 6 anerys, 4 normals, a snow and an amel from the second clutch. The first anery has just had its first shed, and will hopefully have its first meal tonight., From the first clutch #1 is feeding well, but #2 and 3 are yet to start, so we'll try braining the pinkies tonight and hopefully get their appetite going.

I know i know, still no pictures.... i promise soon!! :)

14. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

They have got to be sooo cute, I can't wait to see pics of them.

Out of curiosity.....do you house the babies together or do they each get their own box?

15. smallgrayfox

I was wondering the same thing...are they kept together or separately? A while back I would have just assumed babies would be together, but that was before I saw pictures of baby cannibal snakes :eek:

16. Bitis Gabonica

They are all housed separately in small boxes, with half a toilet roll tube for a hide (although i've taken those out now because they prefer to lie under the kitchen roll substrate) and a small bottle lid for a water bowl.

This means they can be watched closely for sheds, feeds, toilet habits, etc,. and there is no chance of cannibalism. Babies can sometimes be difficult to start feeding, so this is also easier, and it's less stressful for the babies, as we don't handle them unless necessary.

Hope that helps :)
    Thanks for the comments guys, i promise i will post pics later on :)

17. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

That's how Kathy Love does it too....I was just curious if she was the only breeder that did it or if it were the norm.

So thank you for sharing and who knows, there may be people out there thinking about giving breeding a shot and could avoid a canniblistic episode because you replied

(((Patiently waiting for pics..... taps foot)))

18. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Toni :) No, I believe it's the norm.

LOL pics very soon, i'm so sorry we haven't posted any yet.. it's first-time feeding night tonight and we've had to clean all 15 out several times (they keep having episodes with their water bowls! :rolleyes: ), so don't want to stress them out too much... grrr I have decided though, that baby corn snakes are definately not my favourite snakes!! - they are so fast and so wirey and I've been bitten a million times today trying to clean them out! :p

Right, camera ready,. i've changed my mind, let's see if we can get a few feeding shots.. at least they can only bite one thing at once :D

*Edit: Well, unfortunately that wasn't a success :p I'll try tomorrow while they are all (hopefully) chilled and digesting. Didn't realise baby corns would be so much work!!!

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like you've got your hands full, Rachel!! Good luck with the little guys. Hopefully now that they've eaten they'll be a bit less vicious!

20. Bitis Gabonica

LOL you would hope Andrea.. :D

Well nearly all ate straight off! From our first clutch we still have two that haven't eaten, (the first from clutch #1 has had 3 feeds now), so we're gonna have to start trying some tricks to get their feeding kickstarted :(
    From clutch 2, all but 2 ate for the first time, so doing well :)

Clutch #3 should start hatching within the next couple of days, so i'll keep the camera to hand for hatching pics! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.