This Disappears When Logged In

Solar Brite Mvb?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by DWC24, May 17, 2011.

1. DWC24

DWC24 Elite Member

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

never heard of it. I"ll let others chime in,

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Doesn't look like any Mercury Vapor Bulb that I've seen!
    Google it for reviews!

4. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I've used one before for my bearded dragon. It gave off a lot of UVB, I don't remember exactly how much. She didn't like it and wouldn't bask under it. What I didn't like is that uv rays didn't spread out it was just directly under the center of the bulb. If u move an inch or so off center it was almost gone. The new mega rays are the same. I used a solarmeter to find this out. I have a t rex active uv heat on the way, im curious to see how those are. From what I've seen, bulbs that have a frosted face have a better uv spread, unfortunately the solar glows and the powersuns have weak uvb output (both with a frosted face).
    I've read on other beardie forums that peoples dragons did well under the solar brites so maybe it just depends on the animal itself.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's a MVB, just not a self-ballasted one.
    I don't know much about the company, looks like they are out of California.
    As long as they are not importing them from China.
    Stay away from Chinese made MVB. Dangerous and untested.

EDIT;
    PQL doesn't have a Solar-brite bulb.
    It might be a knock-off company.

I contacted PQL in California to see if it's made by them.

6. kriminaal

I searched the uvb meter owners group.
    Here's a quote from BobMac.

I have tested many Solar Brites and can tell you that they are killers.
    Simply no UVB after 24 hours. You can use any other name brand MV bulb
    and be much better off. You will actually be better off with any good
    name brand fluorescent tube as well. Solar Brite is, in simple language,
    just plain a reptile killer.

Bobmac

There's more saying the same thing. These bulbs seem to 'disturb' Iguanas and some have rated up to 5x more UVB than they should be.

DON"T BUY THEM

7. mld

Wow, that is good to know! Probably why they are so much cheaper, cheaply made! Very scary!

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Yes it disturbed my bearded dragon. I threw it right in the garbage, I didn't even waste my time to return it.

9. mld

So what are the best ones on the market?
    I know that MegaRays are the best, but are there any other brands that are better than others!

10. kriminaal

That I couldn't tell you. I never had issues with MegaRays, so I never looked for others.
    There is a yahoo group called UVB_Meter_Owners. People that test all the bulbs and post their findings. I am part of the group just for research as I don't have a UVB meter.
    It's a good place to search for answers.
    They are several Chinese bulbs that are horrible and the readings are all over the place.
    You never know if you'll get one that has none or too much that will kill.

11. mld

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out!

12. sathrall

sathrall New Member

I think they're safe now. I've seen plenty of reptiles come out alive and perfectly healthy after 6 months of exposure or more. No sunlight is able to reach these reptiles either, so it's not something that could be mistaken for a little sun seeping through. All the reptiles I have seen have been basking in these lamps perfectly just simply enjoying their fake sun. I bought one for my chameleon and she's loving it dearly. I have had more problems with compact fluorescents and I will never go back to those, but like I said, I have not witnessed the solar brite bulbs to be "killers."

I have also seen these bulbs going for 2x's as much as before...soooo...