This Disappears When Logged In

Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by gapeachkatie, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I have been researching and researching ways to make soil that would be great for a live planted viv, while still being safe for herps. In my research, I kept coming across ABG mix and decided to do a forum search for it on here. I did not come across anything about it on here, which surprised me, but only made me more curious. Does anyone have experience with this? Everything I have come across involving it has been good reviews and Atlanta Botanical still uses it.

So, anyone have anything to chime in about it?

Or, if your curious, here is the recipe::
    1 part milled peat

1 part milled sphagnum moss

1 part fine charcoal

2 parts fine tree fern fiber (Or substitute with Coco Fiber)

2 parts fine orchid bark

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

ABG mix
    Atlantic Botanical Garden mix

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

way too complicated. 1 part organic potting soil to 1 part eco-earth. I've been doing this for years.

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I was thinking of doing my own mix of sphagnum moss, coco fiber, and potting soil, but just wanted feed back on the ABG mix since I keep seeing great reviews on it.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

whatever you do, just be sure its organic

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

It's a good idea to include charcoal, even if you just put a layer on the bottom, because the charcoal helps prevent bacteria.

7. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

ABG mix is most commonly used by keepers of dart and mantella frogs, though it is a good mix for many species that require moderate-high humidity.
    The main purpose of ABG is to have a substrate that is nutrient rich, drains well while retaining moisture and perhaps most importantly, supports a wide variety of microfauna (springtails, isopods, white worms, etc.)
    The charcoal's main purpose is not to prevent bacteria, it is to enhance drainage, in fact many people use cypress mulch or extra orchid bark instead of charcoal. The difference between using bark versus charcoal is that the charcoal breaks down MUCH less quickly.