This Disappears When Logged In

Soil Depth?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by HydroDragon, Mar 6, 2010.

1. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Im putting my "potters" into my great stuff background. I plan on putting smaller growing plants in these. They are 5"-6" deep and about 4"-5" a round, tupperwear containers is what they were. Is this sufficient enough for most plants? The larger taller growing plants will be planted in the bottom of course.

Also for the "air plants." Do you just plant those in a type of moss or something? Ive seen them planted on types of wood but im creating ledges as well.

2. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

*bump* Buying plants soon. Need to know which types grow well in smaller pots.

3. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Umm, I'm pretty sure you could use bromeliads. For the most part I've seen these stay on the smallish side (under 12"). If you're experienced with plants maybe you could try some of the smaller orchid varieties?

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Best advice: give it a shot.

There are too many variables to try to make everything perfect. Set everything up how you want it and make the adjustments to make it work. However the target parameters should still be for the herp.

The "air plants" are what are called epiphytes, these include ferns, bromeliads, orchids and a few others. They are non-parasatic plants that use host plants to grow. Planting them in moss helps to keep them secured. I'm pretty sure all of their moisture comes in through trichomes on the leaves and not through the root system. With the amount of substrate that you could fit into those tupperwares you are not limited to epiphytes.

5. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Thanks for the info cody. As far as the tupperwares go I plan on putting smaller growing plants in them as to they dont have more than a foot and a half to grow up. I made a couple fairly shallow ledges for the Epiphyte's as you called them. So as to give more color/variety and shape as well.

RETF's are what will share the plants space eventually. So tall growing hardy plants will go in the bottom and smaller on the way up. Hopefully everything works out and plants dont die off on me. This is my first vivarium afterall.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I use plant cuttings for wall mounted plants. They'll fill in quickly, especially pothos. I'd start with that.

7. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Ive heard to you refer to using porthos cuttings in your substrate area to absorb excess water as well. Im new to all this plant jive haha, what exactly are the "cuttings?" Is it Just the leaves that have fallen or Trimmed from the main plant?

8. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

i cut my plants at a joint in the vine and once i plant it in soil it will begin to develop a root and fill in. pothos is extremely hardy and should be a good choice. they do pretty well in almost any subtropic to tropic temps and also dont require any special lighting, whatever u use for the frog should suffice, and it is strong enough to support the weight of the frogs. you will definately have to trim it periodically because it can takeover the vivarium, but is a good starting point

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I trim off a "branch" or "stalk" about 5 inches long and just stick it in the dirt. They root without even trying. Pull off any leaves that will go beneath the soil. I usually cover up/sink half the stalk I cut.

A $5 plant from homedepot, the grocery store, etc. gives you A LOT of cuttings. And the plant will just keep growing!

10. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Ah yea, I have does this with my Purple Passion house plant a number of different times. Matter fact its about time to trim about half it down and throw the other half. Thanks for the help.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can also keep various woody types of plants in very small containers. You just have to remove them once in a while and trim the roots as they do with Bonsai trees.

12. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Since you brought it up. My G/f has been wanting me to ask if you can grow Bonsai Tree's in the Viv. I was not sure if they were herp friendly or not because I have never seen them on any list.

*edit* after a quick BING It states that these plants are harder to care for then most others in a garden. So My guess would be that they wouldnt do well in a Terrarium setup. For the fact that, Terrarium's often do better left alone and just misted/watered.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bonsai, which is a method of training, not a species, have been used in vivs. I gives you a nice small tree effect. And other than a few little differences in care are not all that hard to deal with.
    I would suggest using one of the smaller leafed ficus.