This Disappears When Logged In

Sod In Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by dp428, Sep 17, 2017.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey guys so I am planning to add a little bit of sod to my savannah enclosure mainly just on the cooler side to about the mid to hot area.

I kind of want to play around with this so I bought extra.

But I am aware that they use chemicals to get the roots off and other pesticides so I have belayed it down on some rocks and have been watering it 2-3 times a day to keep it alive and drain out the chemicals. How long do you think I should do this before it could be considered safe to put into the enclosure

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You'll be fine just to water it off the plants. It's not like they are herbivores.

3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

So it's been 4 days of watering it outside so you think I could put it in today?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Of course there's a chance it would do harm. The only real safe solution is to grow it yourself in a controlled environment. But IMO, you'll be fine. Anything really harmful applied to the grass would have killed it.

murrindindi likes this.
  5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I agree with Mike re it should be safe, on a side note are you using suitable lighting for plants?

6. dp428

dp428 Established Member

i have put the sod in the enclosure, man I have I noticed an energy boost with him with the constant fresh oxygen being pumped in his enclosure I recommend this to everyone. yes I have nice 4in bandlight with uva/uvb and full spectrum to keep the grass growing also I have about 3ft or dirt for the roots to dig deep and I have earthworms/redworms in there to keep the soil fresh

7. dp428

dp428 Established Member

and aesthetically pleasing to add to