This Disappears When Logged In

Soapy Snakes?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi Guys!
    So Monty (the Burmese) Python made an awful mess in his enclosure. He pooped and dropped some urates then rolled in them and smeared them all over all of the walls and the ceiling, and at some point shoved his water box into the whole mess, effectively smashing his poo into two walls and completely soaking it.

*sighs*

It took me an hour to clean up.

As you can imagine, he is covered in poo. He's NEVER done anything like this before. :(

So I want to give him a bath. Can I use soap? I only use organic, biodegradable stuff... He's got poo caked all around his vent.

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

That crazy Monty!!! He would go play in poo lol. Hes like "look mommy!"

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Honestly, I'm leaving some details out with respect to how gross this mess really was. I was already having a really bad day and when I moved his water box and saw the extent of the "damage" and smelled it, I almost started crying. He continues to hold the record for most disgusting messes made by an animal in my care, and finds novel and creative ways to out do himself every month.

4. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

What a creative boy! I give him an eight out of ten. Com on Monty! You can do better... I just know you can. lol

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Yuck!!! When I have to bathe my reptiles, I use a bit of Healthy Habitat in the water until it's just barely bubbly.

When I first brought home my dog, Winter, she suffered from extreme separation anxiety. Well the local pet stores didn't stock her size crate, so I had to order it online and keep her in my bathroom when I went out. Well one day I came home to find that she had pooped everywhere, walked in it, and then stuck her paws on every surface in that room. It was in the bath tub, on the counter, in the sink, on the mirrors, on the drawers, on the floor, and on the walls.

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Wow, BB! That's terrible! That dog would have been in so much trouble. lol

7. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Being beaten was probably the reason she was like that (not saying that's what you were implying, I'm just saying that's probably the truth of it). She is now able to stay home alone for as long as I need to be gone without having anxiety or destroying anything. I got this far with her because I have never raised my voice to her. Positive reinforcement is the way to go. But yeah, this isn't about dog training. What type of soap do you have, Aja?

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Maybe Monty was throwing a temper tantrum cuz I haven't handled/exercised him in almost two weeks lol

I use seventh generation. :)

I almost threw up while I was cleaning up his mess. Like he is THE ONLY animal that can nauseate me to the point where I'm gagging. 8 out of 10 lol :)

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

my boa does this all the time! I put her in the tub and rub her down with a bit of johnsons baby wash, have done so for years and doesnt seem to have any negative effect on her....then rinse her really good and rinse the tub down and give her a nice soak.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Aja, yes, you can use soap, or the baby wash Melissa mentions. It seems blatantly obvious to me, you haven`t bothered to housetrain the snake, or to clean up after himself (why not)??? :-"
    No idea why it`s repeating words (housetrain)?

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That really doesn't sound like fun! :-& I'm glad my guys are up of the ground and I can avoid that whole thing, plus they're so small compared to Monty that I can't even imagine. Hope things ger better for you and try to avoid upsetting him, keep his temper tantrums down ;)

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Yeah, my Burms do that ALL the time. I basically just clean up with plain water-- if it is too bad, I use a bit of dog shampoo just avoiding the face/head area of the snakes. I make sure to RINSE, RINSE, RINSE very well. It us such a joy to clean out the water dish when coming home to find poo and urates in the bottom of the water bowl! :p

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poop painting, maybe he thought it was your B-Day :-" LOL
    The bigger the snake the bigger the poop, sounds like you had a messy experience :-& definitely gag worthy.

Hope the rest of your day is better, maybe you should have your own spa day.

14. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I have a ball python that thinks he's Picasso :p

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Monty is just so co-dependent lol ;)

Monty used to be the perfect Burm! He would ONLY pee in his water bowl and his poop was always really ease to clean up. Now I come home to these types of messes. It's my fault at least in part, I usually clean up his poop immediately, and I waited this time because the spring semester had just started.

I've considered putting on a swim suit and taking a shower with him but I'm not sure how he will react. I have heard of people doing that with large constrictors.

Man... the things I consider without a second thought must make me sound like a lunatic to people who aren't herp-oriented...

"Oh I'll just take a shower with my 15 foot burm..." lol

Well that's why I'm on HC. :)

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

17. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

That is one reason I got out of the big boys years ago. After the fun of the 14' Burmese and a 17' Retic, I just had my fill of the rabbit/goat (pygmy breed) issues and the space. Now I'm very happy with my "under 6' rule". If it can get over 6' long I don't even consider it. For me this has been a good rule and I'm happy not to have the 10lb potty calls :p

18. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I think Heart is "house" trained lol! Her 1st poo was on my couch and 2nd in her feeding bin... I guess she was making room for food? She has yet to poo in her cage. Adult snake poo is nasty compaired to my little ones!! lol